• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Purchasing an 02 without the title?

n.dino

Guest Anonymous

first off , do a carfax,if it doesnt come up have a police officer run it thru to see if its stolen if nothing comes up see if second owner registered or placed title in his name after he bought it from first ,if so have him go to dmv,if he never switched it over have first owner go to dmv as he was the last owner on title . but first make shure its not STOLEN.

Carfaxes wont work on the non 17 digit VINs so you really need to look at the laws in your state, and the state the car was last registered before you make any moves. If it was easy to get a title, owner #1 would have done it before selling to #2. I have no idea if police have a method of searching non 17 digit VINs. Unless the car is amazing and very cheap or you plan to use it for parts, I'd pass as I can't imagine it's worth the trouble you will encounter.

--> 1968 2002 <--

Unless you have plenty of free time to spend tracking down people and standing in line at the DMV, it's not worth it. Some states have different rules and regulations about titling vehicles. I recommend going on-line to your local DMV and looking thru their FAQ along with viewing their forms.

There may be multiple forms that you have to fill out BEFORE going to the DMV office. Do as much work in advance as possible to reduce your wait time.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

If you and the car are in CA, then you just need to apply for a duplicate title, if the car is currently registered. If not currenlty registered, I believe it is the same process. If the car is purged out of the system, meaning that the car is no longer in the CA DMV system, then it is simple as well. Couple of pieces of paper work. You can use the VIN# to call AAA or the DMV to see what is needed. It's not a big deal unless there is a lien on it, the DMV will be able to tell you that.

I registered two tii's that had been purged out the DMV system, no problem

Worst case scenario, you do a lien sale (45 days) and sell the car to yourself....been there, done that too.

1974 2002 Verona & 1973 2002 Riviera

1982 320iA & 1983 320iS
2002 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L PSD Wife's

Guest Anonymous

Heres my story, bought my 76 o2 for 500 dollars in may, luckily all paperwork was lost as it was a 76, build date 11 75. DMV here in California had dropped it out of the system, so we got to start anew, got a temp plate good until August and got her on the road by July, took her in to get a vin inspection and DMV clerk signed off on my 75 original paint Golf Yellow o2. No smog needed and now I am replacing head gasket and shoppin for a outlaw Redline webber 38. Guys I have no idea why I got so lucky but every once in awhile the sun shines on a dogs arse.

Dave Miller

DBMW2OO2

Q Best deal on Redline 38s, Blunt wins so far?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
If you and the car are in CA, then you just need to apply for a duplicate title, if the car is currently registered. If not currenlty registered, I believe it is the same process. If the car is purged out of the system, meaning that the car is no longer in the CA DMV system, then it is simple as well. Couple of pieces of paper work. You can use the VIN# to call AAA or the DMV to see what is needed. It's not a big deal unless there is a lien on it, the DMV will be able to tell you that.

I registered two tii's that had been purged out the DMV system, no problem

Worst case scenario, you do a lien sale (45 days) and sell the car to yourself....been there, done that too.

Ditto...I'm in CA. and have done this 3 times already. Very easy, at least in CA. You just need a bill of sale filled out. I have also done the 3rd owner thing where it was last registered under the first owner's name. Filled out bill of sale from second owner, went to DMV with bill of sale from second owner and my bill of sale and got a new title in my name.