• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BMW2002 Rebuilt Engine 2.0 1990cc

fuzzynormal

I'm new to this so I need some advice. What's the ball park $$ for a rebuilt motor, stock? I'm seeing around 2K. Is that accurate?

Also, any idea what a reasonable cost for labor would be to install it?

I feel kinda silly asking such newb questions, but gotta start somewhere. If this is in the wrong section, let me know.

car.jpeg

Rebuilding m10 with ew parts for the head and block is about $3500 in parts alone. For example a set of pistons $500, oil pump $500, also machining cost too. 3k is not a realistic number if you are buying and using new parts.

+1 .... $3K is not realistic for a new-parts M10 rebuild. That said, 'rebuild' means different things to different buyers and engine builders (when budget is a primary concern, I sometimes pull from my inventory of carefully-inspected lightly used parts with good final result (the customer always makes the choice)).

Fuzzynormal; if you email me (use button above), I can tell you about a couple of options I have here in Southern California which might fit - or get close to - your budget. -KB

Guest Anonymous

Since you are in San Diego why not stop over at La Jolla Independant and talk with them. Carl , Chris and the rest are very helpful.

Rebuilding m10 with ew parts for the head and block is about $3500 in parts alone. For example a set of pistons $500, oil pump $500, also machining cost too. 3k is not a realistic number if you are buying and using new parts.

Agreed. I am close to a new engine build and I am going to be about $5k installed in the car, with the bulk of that being parts and machining.

The price of a running engine varies tremendously. How many miles are on it? What upgrades? Depending on condition, I would say you could buy one for $500-$2000. I would think that a shop would take a day or two to swap the motor, so figure on 8 - 16 hours. I would talk to Carl Nelson or another competent shop to get an estimate though.

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun

Yeah, that seems like what I'd be looking for. What cautions should I take when considering purchasing an item like that?

Observe that the entire cylinder head (on the ebay engine) was painted with silver spray paint, studs and valve cover gasket (!) included... this may indicate a tendency towards fashion over function by the builder? -KB

I found a used factory rebuilt engine from a parts stash for short coin, took a chance and had it installed for ~8 to 10 labor hours by my local vintage BMW shop. Brandspankingnew engines are still available from any BMW dealer and you have a warranty. A little more expensive on average but you have zero hassles. Part# 11 00 1 261 408

RMWblog071511-150BLOG.jpg

19648.jpg

--> 1968 2002 <--