• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

need help, bought a spoiler, need mounting help

dwalex

Hi everyone,

I just bought a 68 camaro spoiler and was wondering if anyone knows the in and outs of installing one. I know it needs trimming, but how much and where?

Dave

72 tii "tupelo honey"

12 fiat 500s

03 z-4 2.5

67 gt-6

Others....

72 tii, tupelo honey

67 gt-6 ###%&$*;###!!

03 z-4 name undecided

12 fiat 500s quiche lorraine

I've tried this. You definitely need a heat gun and body/fender washers with whatever screws you use. There is going to be quite a bit of tension on your mounting hardware. Start from the center and work your way out keeping the spoiler warm and flexible. It is not an easy task. I struggled to get mine on, didnt like the fit, so I decided to make one from aluminum that looks more like the old Trans-Am series AMC's.

you guys can't talk about this mod and not post pics..

I second this.

It really depends what you are trying to achieve. Doing it right is going to take a lot of work and likely some fiberglass work to make it look proper.

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

I've tried this. You definitely need a heat gun and body/fender washers with whatever screws you use. There is going to be quite a bit of tension on your mounting hardware. Start from the center and work your way out keeping the spoiler warm and flexible. It is not an easy task. I struggled to get mine on, didnt like the fit, so I decided to make one from aluminum that looks more like the old Trans-Am series AMC's.

I was wondering if you tried any tension cut initially, like in the center? Also, I am thinking about trimming the mount strip towards the ends. I figure that I'll give this a try if it doesn't take too much time... I'll post pics as soon as I start this.

dave

BTW, I like the TA spoiler and I'm pretty good at fabbing aluminum, particularly if it has only one bend. Post a pic so I see the alternate solution on an 02...

72 tii, tupelo honey

67 gt-6 ###%&$*;###!!

03 z-4 name undecided

you guys can't talk about this mod and not post pics..

did you miss the various "show us your front spoiler" threads with pics? ;-)

a search on "camaro and spoiler":

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,376797/highlight,camaro+spoiler/

Yeah, I've been using some of this post to mock up my mounting, but that only goes so far. It's from this post that I decided to spend the $30.

dave

72 tii, tupelo honey

67 gt-6 ###%&$*;###!!

03 z-4 name undecided

I was wondering if you tried any tension cut initially, like in the center? Also, I am thinking about trimming the mount strip towards the ends. I figure that I'll give this a try if it doesn't take too much time... I'll post pics as soon as I start this.

dave

BTW, I like the TA spoiler and I'm pretty good at fabbing aluminum, particularly if it has only one bend. Post a pic so I see the alternate solution on an 02...

I Vee'd the top and bottom of the spoiler in the center to get it started. The outsides are a pain because it has to bend up and still bend with the curve of the car. Thats were you're tension is going to be.

I'll be using a some .07 aluminum that will basically be the same shape as the Camaro spoiler except it will be longer(maybe around a foot). It will still be the same length so it will fit from the bottom edge of each fender. I'm using .75 aluminum angle(.125 thick) as hinges at the top and then some stainless all thread as braces at the bottom so they can be threaded in and out to adjust the spoiler. I should have it done next week sometime and will post pics for everyone.

Good to see this thread. I am about to travel down this road. There are 2 basic shapes. I think a 67-68 and a 69. Which are you using?

Additionally, the Camaro rear bumper, looking into shortening it.

I'm using the 67-68 spoiler. Looks like it will work, at least with a little heating up and a lot of forethought...

dave

72 tii, tupelo honey

67 gt-6 ###%&$*;###!!

03 z-4 name undecided

Good to see this thread. I am about to travel down this road. There are 2 basic shapes. I think a 67-68 and a 69. Which are you using?

Additionally, the Camaro rear bumper, looking into shortening it.

I'm using the 67-68 spoiler. Looks like it will work, at least with a little heating up and a lot of forethought...

dave

I will be very interested in your finished project. Do you plan to use the "brace kit?"

I have a fabricator/welder/genius that might be helpful. Lets stay in touch. The rear bumper is next