primolee

PISTON PIN FIT,WHAT IS OK ?????

7 posts / 512 viewsLast Reply

As I was fitting rings on me '76 02 engine rebuild I noticed a very small amount of movement in the pin to piston, not a lot but if you hold the piston in one hand and the rod in the other you can get it to make a very little bit of flex, not really wobble but it does move a little. Can someone tell me if this is ok or should I have it re-bushed, I am in a hurry to finish this engine but I don't need any problems down the line.

The other pistons do not have any movement at all. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Bill

So three are good and one is maybe bad? You could spend a lot of time measuring to convince yourself the suspect one is good, or just take that rod to a machine shop and have it rebushed. Takes what, a day? I understand being in a hurry, but the unknown will eventually eat you up as you run the engine and "hope" it is OK. Just my '02. Best of luck--Fred

Do the bushings- if there's ANY movement in the pin, they pound out,

and then do all sorts of damage that you don't want to see...

t

Thanks to everyone, I have the rod in the shop being rebushed, I agree why take a chance. Once again Thanks, Bill

Thanks to everyone, I have the rod in the shop being rebushed, I agree why take a chance. Once again Thanks, Bill