• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UPDATE .... installing a screen in the radiator inlet

OriginalOwner

This is a STATUS REPORT sort of post.

Last year I made and installed a screen for the radiator inlet, here is a picture .....

radiatorscreen.jpg

HERE IS THE DISCUSSION THREAD FROM LAST YEAR ...
http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/118468-putting-a-screen-in-the-upper-left-radiator-inflow/?hl=screen#entry146582 

PROGRESS REPORT
I have removed and cleaned the screen several times over the past 15 months, with some gunk present each time.
This morning I again cleaned the screen. Again, there was some minor gunk which I'm glad is no longer in the cooling system.

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner

if there is gunk in the radiator, why not disconnect it and force water through it for 10 minutes with a hose? then hook the hose to the block and flush the block/hoses/heater core. Having a restriction point just seems like asking for trouble to me...

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

This is like a high school science project. My thinking is that the screen is always "on" and the water is always hot and circulating, and whatever might be floating around will eventually arrive at the screen. That is a very reasonable assumption for the past 15 months.

Likewise, hooking up a garden hose for a short-time cold water flush may not unseat nor flush out the stuff that hardens when it is cold.

And I've noticed no real restriction to inflow to the radiator. As the screen is not a 100% tight fit, not all water flow is through the screen. Amazingly enough, my car still runs nice and cool. So far, I haven't detected any problems caused.

Cheers,

Carl