OriginalOwner

UPDATE .... installing a screen in the radiator inlet

6 posts / 584 viewsLast Reply

This is a STATUS REPORT sort of post.

Last year I made and installed a screen for the radiator inlet, here is a picture .....

radiatorscreen.jpg

HERE IS THE DISCUSSION THREAD FROM LAST YEAR ...
http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/118468-putting-a-screen-in-the-upper-left-radiator-inflow/?hl=screen#entry146582 

PROGRESS REPORT
I have removed and cleaned the screen several times over the past 15 months, with some gunk present each time.
This morning I again cleaned the screen. Again, there was some minor gunk which I'm glad is no longer in the cooling system.

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner

if there is gunk in the radiator, why not disconnect it and force water through it for 10 minutes with a hose? then hook the hose to the block and flush the block/hoses/heater core. Having a restriction point just seems like asking for trouble to me...

This is like a high school science project. My thinking is that the screen is always "on" and the water is always hot and circulating, and whatever might be floating around will eventually arrive at the screen. That is a very reasonable assumption for the past 15 months.

Likewise, hooking up a garden hose for a short-time cold water flush may not unseat nor flush out the stuff that hardens when it is cold.

And I've noticed no real restriction to inflow to the radiator. As the screen is not a 100% tight fit, not all water flow is through the screen. Amazingly enough, my car still runs nice and cool. So far, I haven't detected any problems caused.

Cheers,

Carl

have u ever clrED it for a few heat cycles

ndog,

over the past 15 months the screen has been in the inlet continuously. I have removed and cleaned the screen numerous times. Always some minor amount of gooey stuff found but not a lot. Certainly not the chunks that the Jag guy was getting as noted in austinmf"s link.

Cheers,

Carl