• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

15 December 2012 for Not the 49 Mile Drive-12

layers

NT49MD-12— Saturday 15 December in 2012

Rally time in San Francisco! Join BayArea 02 on December 15 (3rd Saturday in December) as we rally around San Francisco in our annual Not the 49 Mile Drive. As before we will meet at Ocean Beach (across The Great Highway from Beach Chalet on the West end of Golden Gate Park; Fulton St. is the cross street and the entrance to the Ocean Beach parking lot) between 9 and 9:30 AM. Following our drivers (and navigator’s) meeting, we hope to have all cars away by 10:00 AM. After a couple of hours driving the major, minor and hidden roads of San Francisco we will meet again at a restaurant for lunch and to review the photos that each car has numbered in the order observed during the rally.

This year San Francisco native Beck Diefenbach is reviewing and exploring the roads that make San Francisco famous to include in the route, helping us find the hidden treasures and postcard views that make us glad we live in the Bay Area. We are also considering options for the lunch restaurant, since Red’s Java House yielded their pier parking to the America’s Cup adventure.

Join us for the fun “gimmick” rally, meet up with your friends, learn and enjoy some of San Francisco’s road history and share some of your BMW tales. Although you can drive solo, we recommend bringing a navigator (in Wells Fargo jargon, someone to ride “shotgun” although we do not expect any arrows flying through your car). During the rally your navigator can number the photos we provide in the order you see them on the route.

To see photos from some of the previous “NT49MD” rallys, look at [http] and [http] (Tom Jones’ 2007 rally photos and discussion about last year’s NT49MD). Watch this forum for the latest details, but be sure to mark 15 December on your calendar for the NT49MD-12 rally!

Larry Ayers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

’73 Malaga— first car, now gone

'74tii Malaga

Cool! This sounds like a lot of fun. Is anyone willing to take on a straggler? I've been drooling over '02s for about a month and would love to participate but don't yet have a car.

Are there any other bay area events happening before Dec 15th?

Thanks!

~ looking, learning, yearning ~

Cool! This sounds like a lot of fun. Is anyone willing to take on a straggler? I've been drooling over '02s for about a month and would love to participate but don't yet have a car.

Are there any other bay area events happening before Dec 15th?

Thanks!

Hello Diathermic-

When participants arrive at Ocean Beach to start, at least a few have no navigator. There is usually a place for another person in at least a car or two. I can vouch, based on a few years I drove solo, that rallys are better with a crew of 2 or more (but too many directors can create havoc!).

Feel free to join the group as we gather at Ocean Beach and if you do not find a ride by yourself we can announce your availability at the driver's meeting.

Oh, be sure to bring a handkerchief: while I realize that "drooling over" is a figure of speech, some of the cars that appear (to rally or just mingle) can be exciting for a 2002 aficionado!

Larry

Larry Ayers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'74tii Malaga

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

NT49MD-12— Not the 49 Mile Drive, Saturday 15 December in 2012

Just a reminder: Not the 49 Mile Drive-- next Saturday, 15 December. Meet at Ocean Beach, San Francisco, across the Great Highway from Beach Chalet, between 9:00 and 9:30 AM. While you can drive solo, a navigator (or even 3!) will make it more fun and provide more eyes to spy the photo locations as you motor around The City. I drove the route yesterday; it's fun and you will even learn about some new locations that will never be on the historic 49 Mile Drive. SF native Beck prepared the route and is taking photos for everyone to ID. We'll continue our conversations at the rally end on TI over pizza (oh-oh, giving away a NT49MD rally stop; but all of you will need to know the end location before you start anyway). Check my previous post for additional details and links. See you there!

Larry Ayers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'74tii Malaga

I was really looking forward to this drive since I bought my first 02 this past September. The car I bought had been in storage for over 7 years and she is now running fine, but I managed to break my right shoulder a month ago and can't handle shifting just yet. Anyone with an Automatic willing to swap with me? Or anyone willing to either dive mine or let me tag along with them?

1974 2002 Malaga tii (Maggie): Work in progress, daily driver

Hey,

My own '02 is fuel-pump-less at the moment, so I was looking to hop a ride myself. I'd love to drive your car with you as navigator. I'm very gentle on cars and, like you, I prefer small, low-horsepower cars. If interested, call me at (650) 740-1586 or drop me an e-mail at dlwatry@yahoo.com.

Derek

My 3 boys and I are so disappointed that we are going to miss the drive this year. I had my car painted and have been travelling too much to get it back together. Last year was one of the highlights of the year for us.

While we prefer BMW's, we realize that sometimes people show up in alternative cars. If nothing else, let me know Saturday night or later and I can e-mail the Word documents to you so you can run the NT49MD-12 rally after your car is back together!

Larry

Larry Ayers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'74tii Malaga

My 3 boys and I are so disappointed that we are going to miss the drive this year. I had my car painted and have been travelling too much to get it back together. Last year was one of the highlights of the year for us.

While we prefer BMW's, we realize that sometimes people show up in alternative cars. If nothing else, let me know Saturday night or later and I can e-mail the Word documents to you so you can run the NT49MD-12 rally after your car is back together!

Larry

Hey Larry. Looks like it was a great event. Is there a chance you could send me a copy of the rally instructions. I mentioned to my boys that you were willing to do this and they are very excited. Thanks! My email button is working, I believe.

1975 BMW 2002 Fjord

Larry - A big thank you for putting together Saturday's rally. Beck did a great job with the route! My wife and two girls and I thoroughly enjoyed the drive and meeting the group. Do we really have to wait a full year to do that again?! Thanks for providing lunch as well.

When you have a moment, can you email me at b.benefield@sbcglobal.net regarding our T-shirt conversation?

Thanks again!

Brian

• Upcoming Events

• Supporting Vendors