• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

02 Vintage Race Car project, Heidegger replica

pkuchay

Guest Anonymous
Thanks Guys,

I received some good news today from one of eligibility guys. It looks like I might be able to declare the car a GTS-2 and get away with the body. That's step one solved. We also discussed exactly what Mark brought up, which is to fit period correct fuel injection to an S-14 and get the essence of the M-12 without the ridiculous prices and low life expectancy.

I have a board meeting a week from tonight and we will be discussing eligibility. So, I will know a bit more about what direction the club is headed. Everyone in the club who I have shared the project with wants the car in the club. Everyone, including the 2002 guys are two thumbs up. So we will continue to snake our way through the eligibility issues.

Great leads on the engine guys out there, much appreciated.

Based on the followint it appears that you can use a tii lower timing cover on an S14 and that at least one person has adapted a slide throttle intake manifold with mechanical injection. Pretty cool.

404262621.jpg

www.alpinabmw2002.com

I spoke with Paul Burke at Imagineering for about an hour today. He can even take an S-14 motor and do dual cam covers to make it look like an M-12/7 motor. We discussed two separate paths for the motor, M-10 or S-14. He can get crazy power out of an S-14....probably more than what I would need so we focused on the M-10 solution towards the end of the conversation. His fabrication skills include the FI intake set up and he had a lot to offer there.

One of the things that came through loud and clear was how excited he was about the project. This guy is a gem and very rare. He knows his stuff, cold. Very knowledgeable and had a lot of recommendations. Definitely an outside of the box kind of guy and the conversation flowed very well. He's going to think about it tonight as I will and we will talk again in a few days.

1973 2002 M2 - sold and in Florida

1967 Porsche 911S vintage race car "Ugly Duck" - Sold and staying in Denver

1972 BMW 2002 FIA Gp 2 Replica

I did spend another round of phone calls late this week with Paul Burke and am quite comfortable with the direction he is going. Will probably contract him in the coming weeks to do the engine build. I like that he is thinking outside the box and doing things that are not typically done with M-10 motors. Plus, he fabricates the connecting rods, pistons, cams and fuel injection systems. Combine that with dyno testing to verify results is money well spent.

Thanks Ray, I promise one of the diffs I will run will be the 4.10! Good to hear from you, I hope you've been well!

What direction did you decide to go with the build? This is one of the most interesting projects I have seen! Good luck with it!

Regards

Jacques

'71 2002 Malaga, fun weekender

'70 2002ti Colorado, Restoration/money pit

'74 2002 turbo in my dreams, sideways...

Hi Jacques,

I am going to move forward with Paul Burke @ Imagineering in Kansas. He owes me a quote and once I have that and am comfortable I will give him a deposit. He has several levels of build to chose from and I am moving forward with the most aggressive of the builds. He is claiming 330 - 340 HP from an 8 valve M-10, 2,317cc's. He makes the rods, pistons, cams and Kugelfisher based FI injection system with his custom velocity stacks and set up at 15:1 compression ratio due to the altitude here in Denver.

This is huge horsepower for an 8 valve motor but he assures me he can do it. So, he will have the engine all the way through to dyno to verify the tune and output. The M12/7 was just crazy expensive and with a 15 hour refresh requirement it just didn't make sense. I will more than likely also build a second motor that is more in the vintage spirit which will probably be closer to 230 HP and should comply to more strictly regulated vintage clubs.

• 4 weeks later...

Time for an update on the project. I spoke with Matt at Sports Car Restoration today and we are moving forward with the program. Matt had one car that went through his shop that sucked a lot of resources over the last year but that project is done and he is starting to breath again. We reviewed the Heidegger body work and I confirmed that I want to build and FIA Group 2 car rather than a B-Sedan so that will involve some additional cage work, some changes to brake configuration as well as converting the car to rack and pinion from the stock set up.

Matt and crew should start on the scope of work in December and we are targeting a Mid-Summer completion as long as my finances can sustain the damage. If not the project will drag out until early next year.

Paul Burke is definitely doing the engine build and he will get started in December with a target of May completion for the motor.

I had a couple of long discussions with Matt this week about the project. I am more than likely going to have to relocate in the coming months and rather than staying in conformance with my local vintage club I have decided to build a full blown FIA Group 2 car regardless of the ramifications towards eligibility. This will include extending the cage to the front shock towers as well as the rear shock towers and some key suspension geometry improvements. Matt has pretty detailed instructions on what to do and they moved the car out of the storage area back into the shop to commence the scope of work. Now all that needs to happen is some money exchanging hands and we will be off and running. Paul Burke is also ready to go once I get him his deposit. I would expect that the car should be completed mid to late summer. I am proposing to Matt that the car stays there and I will more than likely do a shake down run at Lime Rock prior to moving it to where I am located then, which could be Mass, NJ or Virginia....depending on a new job.

So, to summarize where we are as of today here are the general details on the build:

FIA Group 2 replica of the Heidegger car in appearance.

2,317 cc 8 valve motor to be built by Paul Burke at Imagineering, expected output to be roughly 330HP with Burke's own Kugelfisher based FI system. Paul will be doing a custom intake of his design. We will be relocating the distributor and run the FI off the back of the engine. Dry sump system to be included by Burke.

I believe we will be running a close ratio 5 speed out of a Euro 323 if we can find this and of course an LSD.

Suspension will be coil overs and brakes are still TBD but will be a four wheel disk set up.

We are still going to attempt to keep the car as light as possible but I would suspect the final weight will push 1,950. The car will also be corner balanced and will include a fair amount of suspension adjustability.

Hopefully my checking account can keep up with the project!

I recall you noting that my car was some of the inspiration for your M2.

In that case I may be somewhat responsible for.. this... tangent...

;-)

Have a good Thanksgiving!

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Yes Ray, your M2 was indeed the beginning of this! Still miss my M2 a great deal, however, the current owner keeps in touch and it went to a great home! The racing bug came from my 67 Porsche 911, what a great car to start with! Very capable considering how old it was!

Great project!

I saw the Heidegger of Engelsman this year on Le Mans. Realy perfect car. I can provide you some extra pictures if you need.

I also can bring you in contact with Tim Poesiat (owner and builder) of the Heidegger in the Netherlands. I know Tim well and have his phone number if you need it.