• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radio connection on a 6-fuse car

jerry

Folks, a forum search yields plenty of info on hooking up a radio on 12-fuse cars (use the purple wire off the hazard switch), but i was not able to find a clear contact point for the 6-fuse cars.

i am loath to use those dang 'tap-a-wire' connectors that just seem to appear as an expedient, low-effort, no-thought method to get the job done. i like to make my connections at terminal ends if possible.

i do not have the familiar 'purple wire' to plug into. btw, i'm working with a Becker Europa mono radio; one red in-line fused wire (+) and one black (-) wire. i'm thinking the black wire will connect with my heater box ground.

any suggestions for the (+) wire? i *think* every post on the back of my ignition switch is taken.

there does appear to be a dangling OEM-looking red-white wire dangling in my engine bay doing nothing at present. it's clean so i suspect it was at one time connected to the fuse box where it avoided engine grime. i loose it when i try to trace it past the firewall.

all my electricals with the exception of my hazard flasher and alternator warning light work, so i do not know if that dangling wire is somehow related.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Presuming you have an old-school radio with no resident memory (i.e. mechanical pushbuttons)... to to the back side of your ignition switch with a voltmeter and determine which wire is hot with the key in the accessory position, then get a piggyback female push-on terminal and use it to connect your radio hot lead to that terminal. Then your radio will function in the accessory position as well as with the engine running.

If your radio has an internal memory (clock, station presets etc) then wire that lead to the ignition switch terminal that's hot all the time. Those leads should have an in-line fuse so they'll be protected.

A convenient ground is one of the nuts that holds the heater cable sheaths in place. Don't count on grounding through the console.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Jerry,

Your early '71 would not have any "red/white" cable. However, there are two "gray/red" cables that are connected to the output terminals of fuse #2 (6-fuse system). One leads to the light switch and the other to the left tail light.

That being said, it has nothing to do with what you're inquiring about. Unless you have other accessories installed in your project, the "R" terminal or your ignition switch should be available. It's the one meant for a "violet" accessory cable. Since you have a mono Becker Europa, it doesn't have any feature that requires a "always-hot" cable. You should be able to locate the "R" terminal behind your ignition switch and connect the red-fused power cable from your radio to it. That way, and just as Mike said, you'll have access to the radio when the ignition tumbler is turned to "garage" or "accessory". There should be no need to access the fuse box. Keep your wiring simple.

The above is what I did with my Becker radio, except that my in-line fuse was modified to split power to the radio and to an additional cigarette lighter meant to charge my phone while I listened to music through the radio.

The diagram for the back of the ignition switch is attached for your perusal.

Good luck on your project.

post-260-13667663162073_thumb.jpg

1968 BMW 1600

Unless you have other accessories installed in your project, the "R" terminal or your ignition switch should be available. It's the one meant for a "violet" accessory cable. .

thank you for your clear instructions and helpful diagram. my radio works!!! it was a very simple connection to the R terminal. these instructions should be readily searchable, too.

i'm delighted that my humble little mono radio works, too. i am thrilled. it's kinda loud, as well. certainly not for an audiophile, but very nostalgic sound.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa