• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

is it commom to pay for body work/paint before seeing finish

1971Ginger

My body guy has had my car for a while now and besodes getting 6k from the insurance co, he appraised me for 3.5k im bodywork and paint and additional. i paid him 1700 cash but upon seeing my car (incomplete and unfinished car) yesterday, he asked me to pay for what he invested in the paint booth. This would mean we are all even but im afraid that he wont add as much quality if he has nothing invested in the car.

this was my first time painting a car and i hope its not this difficult and stressful for anyone else...

post-20026-13667663149484_thumb.jpg

1971- 02-Malaga -(Ginger)- 2nd owner

1973-02- chamonix (sold)

pardon any grammatical errors in my posts, im probably on my cell phone.

Yikes! It's been a while since I've had a car prepped/painted, but what I have always done (and it seemed to work for both parties) was:

1. 33% to begin the project

2. 33% at approval of prep

3. 34% at approval of finished paint

Paul Huber

1972 2002 Baur Targa in Baikal & 1971 2002 Pickup in Silver/Surf

"The more you know, the less you need."

—Aboriginal Saying

Yikes! It's been a while since I've had a car prepped/painted, but what I have always done (and it seemed to work for both parties) was:

1. 33% to begin the project

2. 33% at approval of prep

3. 34% at approval of finished paint

i agree completly, the body guy has other projects which dont pay him so i think i was his ATM. i ended up paying him a little to recoop costs of paint booth

1973-02- chamonix (sold)

Once 100% payment is made, there will be no incentive for a body shop to finish in a timely manner, IMO. I don't think a reputable shop would ask for 100% up front either.

i wont say the shops name, but with the headaches ive been through (parts damaged.by accident that were not.included.in.hia estimate and overspray/drips) im questioning if this guy is taking my car as seriously as his "concours" clients

1973-02- chamonix (sold)

Once 100% payment is made, there will be no incentive for a body shop to finish in a timely manner, IMO. I don't think a reputable shop would ask for 100% up front either.

While on topic i have a fat scratch on the strut brace I bought from you ready and some overspray. I can manage the overspray but to get a scratch out any suggestions?

thanks

1973-02- chamonix (sold)

While on topic i have a fat scratch on the strut brace I bought from you ready and some overspray. I can manage the overspray but to get a scratch out any suggestions?

thanks

You might be able to polish it out if it's not too deep, Or just put a sticker over it

Note: I didn't want to generalize that all shops will keep your $$ and make your wait forever. just that it's unusual for one to ask for full payment before the job is close to being done.

Ray

73 Chamonix-S14 powered

Elefant Supply Apparel & more O=00=O

faq sig

Do not pay till 100% COMPLETION. No reputable shop would EVER ask to be paid before completion. IN FACT you should pay the balance or ALL PAYMENTS with a credit card so you have a way to go back if anything is wrong with finished product. The credit card companies will act as mediator if things should go south or even not pay him if he ends up doing a crappy or incomplete job in the end. I have had experience with this and followed similar advice and was glad I did. Good Luck!!

thanks

You might be able to polish it out if it's not too deep, Or just put a sticker over it

Note: I didn't want to generalize that all shops will keep your $$ and make your wait forever. just that it's unusual for one to ask for full payment before the job is close to being done.

no i hear you, this is the same shop that burnt my headliner removing roof dents, without telling me to remove it. he then said "buy a new headliner" il take care of.it.

a few days, and a dynamat roof install, the body guy tells.me that he will split the cost for the headliner and install it. I.understand im gettimg a new headliner but he

was the reason it was damaged. most other shops will eat the cost.

1973-02- chamonix (sold)

Final payment is always after the car is DONE.

Depending on the project, it's 1/3 up front, 1/3 when the car is prepped and ready for paint, and 1/3 upon delivery.

If the prep inspection is not to your satisfaction, you may ask to have it corrected. The second payment should only be made upon the approval of the prep work.

The same applies to the final payment. You only pay when the car is done to your satisfaction as per the original agreement. If not, the repairs should be made and payment submitted upon final approval and delivery.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

Hate to say it but you got involved with the wrong shop. At this point I would start putting a "timeline" or list together of everything that was said and done and who is fault for what and all dates that you can remember and anything you can remember was said.. You will need all the ammunition so to speak when you go up against this guy in the end. DO NOT PAY HIM TILL HE HAS COMPLETED CAR. He should pay for your headliner and installation too. He should not have destroyed your headliner. He should have called you and had you go over and remove it. He will need to cut, color sand and polish your car before he turns over the keys to you. So the runs you are seeing are common on repaints as long as there aren't to many of them. Other than that wait till he has ABSOLUTELY completed the work before you take any action!! Good luck.

Guest Anonymous

thanks

no i hear you, this is the same shop that burnt my headliner removing roof dents, without telling me to remove it. he then said "buy a new headliner" il take care of.it.

a few days, and a dynamat roof install, the body guy tells.me that he will split the cost for the headliner and install it. I.understand im gettimg a new headliner but he

was the reason it was damaged. most other shops will eat the cost.

My body guy has had my car for a while now and besodes getting 6k from the insurance co, he appraised me for 3.5k im bodywork and paint. i paid him 1700 cash but upon seeing my car (incomplete and unfinished car) yesterday, he asked me to pay for what he invested in the paint booth. This would mean we are all even but im afraid that he wont add as much quality if he has nothing invested in the car.

this was my first time painting a car and i hope its not this difficult and stressful for anyone else...

Your body guy rcvd $6k directly from your insurance AND he wants $3.5k from you too??

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

My body guy has had my car for a while now and besodes getting 6k from the insurance co, he appraised me for 3.5k im bodywork and paint. i paid him 1700 cash but upon seeing my car (incomplete and unfinished car) yesterday, he asked me to pay for what he invested in the paint booth. This would mean we are all even but im afraid that he wont add as much quality if he has nothing invested in the car.

Your body guy rcvd $6k directly from your insurance AND he wants $3.5k from you too??

6k was for damage/paint damaged by accident (hood,front clip, fender) and the rest of the car is the 3.5k. the car had dents when it came in so he did do work, but for nearly 10k invested i would think.one.could walk.away and return to nice, blemish free.car

1973-02- chamonix (sold)