• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on M20 Swap Header options

dasfrogger

I was wondering if anyone had any input on good header options for a m20 swap? I know the MSDS headers work, but I've been having trouble finding them and they're pretty pricey when found. Will the Ireland engineering headers work? Any other options?

I've done some searching the past few days, but everything I've been finding says MSDS and is from a bunch of years ago. I'm thinking that there's gotta be some new headers on the market that would work for this application.

Call Ireland and ask them....They know a lot about the swap and know they're product....I'm sure you can get some good info and if they don't have something for you, they may be able to point you in the right direction.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

Stock engine?

Go with the stock manifolds.

Using headers has no benefit unless you modify the engine. (Hi comp, cam, port work etc) Otherwise, avoid the aggravation and save your money.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

Kinda going off what Pierre said, there aren't any huge gains on a stock engine over the stock manifolds, especially with 'shorty' headers like the MSDS. IF you found a set of long tube headers that fit the '02 chassis they may be worth going to for some top end gain as long as you don't mind loosing a bit of torque in the bottom of your rpm range.

But unless your engine is built just stick with the stock manifolds. The money can be put to better use elsewhere in the engine, like a performance chip and larger injectors. Or better yet ditch the crappy AFM and convert to a MAF sensor etc. etc.

HTH

Tinker Engineering - 2014

Mica - 2000 BMW 323i - The one that started it all

Fiona - 1975 BMW 2002 - The Definition of Project Creep

Heidi - 1988 BMW M5 - The piece of BMW history

Silvia - 2013 Subaru WRX - Stock, for now