• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Megasquirt folks transition from MSII to MSExtra or MS3?

Grover

I'm about to make this change as it will permit easier tuning of ITB's. However, I'm confused by what seem to be conflicting bits of information that I'm reading. Specifically, in the MSExtra download info it says NOT to start with a blank tune but rather to work from a prior version or one will risk creating all sorts of issues. However, I have also read that older MS2 files cannot be transferred over to MSExtra, rather they need to be created from scratch. Can anybody with experience tell me the best way to move from a nicely tuned MS2 program to MS2/Extra? Thanks in advance.

I'm about to make this change as it will permit easier tuning of ITB's. However, I'm confused by what seem to be conflicting bits of information that I'm reading. Specifically, in the MSExtra download info it says NOT to start with a blank tune but rather to work from a prior version or one will risk creating all sorts of issues. However, I have also read that older MS2 files cannot be transferred over to MSExtra, rather they need to be created from scratch. Can anybody with experience tell me the best way to move from a nicely tuned MS2 program to MS2/Extra? Thanks in advance.

Hey Grover,

I finally get a chance you help you with something instead of the other way around.

I did upgrade to Extra and it makes your ignition settings go all wonky if you keep the same tune AND the accel enrichment settings, but nothing major.

I would say go for it rather than starting from scratch (but make a back up first!!!)

Here is my thread.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,373796/

Thanks a lot Colin, I'll take a look at your link to see if it helps clear things up. For some reason, all this stuff with different firmwares, rev #'s, etc... just makes my head hurt. Would you be up for helping me a little offline if I continue to struggle to understand it? trichardson AT clifbar DOT com

Thanks a lot Colin, I'll take a look at your link to see if it helps clear things up. For some reason, all this stuff with different firmwares, rev #'s, etc... just makes my head hurt. Would you be up for helping me a little offline if I continue to struggle to understand it? trichardson AT clifbar DOT com

I would be happy to do what I can. You can reach me via the email link here anytime.

Colin

Thanks for all the good info in the link you posted here. I hadn't noticed it when you first posted it but the forum moves quickly sometimes and it got past me.

I was looking at your 12x12 maps and trying to convert them as best I could to the 16x16 tables of MS3. All the other little nuances you described are really interesting. I haven't even run my car on MS3 yet, but I had copied some other maps that were posted on the forum and had them ready to go on my laptop. Yours are a little different. I going to try your setting since your injectors are close to mine(I have 30lb Volvo turbo inj.) Anyway, its great you took the time to do it. Keep up the good work.

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

Dave

How do you do that? I would imagine Colin would have to email me the file I some form that MS3 understands. Thats a whole lot easier then my "fill in each box" method. Thanks for enlightening me!

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

Dave

How do you do that? I would imagine Colin would have to email me the file I some form that MS3 understands. Thats a whole lot easier then my "fill in each box" method. Thanks for enlightening me!

I tried to upload the tables to the forum but it wouldn't work. You may email them and I'd be happy to send the tables over!

Colin

Thanks a lot! My email is mikekatsoris@gmail.com

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

Open the tune you want the (12x12) table from and export it...Use the Export button on the upper right corner of the tables.

In MS3 (or extra) Start with the generic msq that comes with the firmware Zip files (or your existing msq)...... Open a table and use the import button.....

Easy Peasy....

DaveG

Thanks Dave

Colin was nice enough to email me his tables. I will try importing them into my msq tonight.

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

76 Estorilblau 2740318