• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Smog Equipment

We have a very original and unmolested 1969 2002. It still has all the smog equipment that it was sold with and all was in working order. This system seems to apply to '68-'70 and consists of a smog pump and gulp valve only.

At this point the hose from the gulp valve to the intake manifold has fallen to bits and is NLA requiring some action be taken.

So I figured I'd try and document what is installed on this car. What is connected to where. And what the threads are on the manifolds. Figure this way I have a reference to put it back, and so do others.

Patrick Owens

www.OopsClunkThud.com

BMW 2002 US manufactured on April 17th, 1969, colour was Granada, paint code 023.

The hose barb on the intake manifold is an M18x1.5 thread. This is the same thread as an O2 sender, so plenty of caps out there to plug the hole.

post-19519-13667662237101_thumb.jpg

post-19519-1366766223728_thumb.jpg

Patrick Owens

www.OopsClunkThud.com

BMW 2002 US manufactured on April 17th, 1969, colour was Granada, paint code 023.

available at least from aftermarket suppliers. Same with the air pump.

You should be able to find a hose that will function at a large auto parts store, like Pep Boys. Or you can take a hose with the proper bends and use black plastic plumbing pipe for the straight runs.

I found that with my own '69, after several years with the smog stuff in place (this was about 1971) that when cold, even with the choke pulled out, the car would nearly stall when pulling out into traffic--after you went about 5-10 feet. Way too much excitement early in the morning! I pulled all that stuff off the car, re-set the timing to Euro specs and it's been running fine ever since.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks, at this point I think I'm removing the bits. Most the info needed I've found in other threads but figured I'd photo and document all the hoses for anyone looking later.

More pictures to come.

Patrick Owens

www.OopsClunkThud.com

Remove the air pump bracket as well. You don't need that thing anymore. Takes up space. On my 69, the air pump bracket was also the dip stick holder. I removed the whole thing, then just cut the square dip stick holder part off with a chop saw.