• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adjusting Brakes

PeterCS

My brake pedal has excessive travel and I suspect that the issue is excessive clearance between the rear brake linings and the drums.

Here is a pic of the pass side.

Are they supposed to adjust automatically? (I don't see any adjusters).

Where are these auto adjusters?

Should I replace them? (if I can find them!)

Help appreciated as always.

PeterCS

74 2002

82 315 Baur

My brake pedal has excessive travel and I suspect that the issue is excessive clearance between the rear brake linings and the drums.

Here is a pic of the pass side.

Are they supposed to adjust automatically? (I don't see any adjusters).

Where are these auto adjusters?

Should I replace them? (if I can find them!)

Help appreciated as always.

PeterCS

74 2002

82 315 Baur

Did you ever get that manuel that we all told you to get?? OOOOOR have you even looked up how to adjust rear brakes on a 2002??? (Oh thats right you have a 316? not a 2002) You really need to make more of an effort to get the answers...) on the 2002 FAQ Fourm....

Scott B.

1969 2002, 1972 2002, 1967 1600, 2001 540It

There are adjustment screws for each drum accessible from the inboard side of the hub that are adusted with a 17mm wrench (or vice grips if rounded off). They can be tough to get at with a standard wrench but if you have the tool kit that came with the '02 the bent end box wrench is designed for this.

There is a good description on Zenon Holts site at:

http://www.zeebuck.com/bimmers/bmvseite/

Adjusting the rear drums makes a huge difference in braking performance. And Bourkeco is right, invest in a good maintenance guide and use the site search. It will go a long way in helping you.

Rob S
'69 2002; '04 330i ZHP; 2018 X1; 2014 535i; 2017 340i

There are adjustment screws for each drum accessible from the inboard side of the hub that are adusted with a 17mm wrench (or vice grips if rounded off). They can be tough to get at with a standard wrench but if you have the tool kit that came with the '02 the bent end box wrench is designed for this.

There is a good description on Zenon Holts site at:

http://www.zeebuck.com/bimmers/bmvseite/

Adjusting the rear drums makes a huge difference in braking performance. And Bourkeco is right, invest in a good maintenance guide and use the site search. It will go a long way in helping you.

This is a ongoing thing with PS which is why I did not answer his direct ?

Scott B.

1969 2002, 1972 2002, 1967 1600, 2001 540It

Sorry for hihacking the thread, but I replaced the rear shoes a couple of months ago and ended up rounding off the driver side adjusting bolt. Now having to use vise grips.

Is it better/easier to replace the entire backing plate or ground off the adjusting screw and fit a new one, if it's still available?

TIA.

Gil. Hernandez
'73 2002 - Fjord Blue
Austin, TX

Sorry for hihacking the thread, but I replaced the rear shoes a couple of months ago and ended up rounding off the driver side adjusting bolt. Now having to use vise grips.

Is it better/easier to replace the entire backing plate or ground off the adjusting screw and fit a new one, if it's still available?

TIA.

you'll have to replace the backing plate. the adjustment 'screw' is not available separately.

in order to avoid rounding off this 'screw', if it gets frozen, the safest way to free it up is to remove the brake shoes and use a vice grips on the internal side of the adjustment 'screw'. with penetrating oil and work it loose that way. i had to do this yesterday and after oil and working it, it moves more freely, but not so much as to be ineffective in holding its position.

i've also dressed worn hex pattern with a file to help restore them for later use with a wrench.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

TIA.

you'll have to replace the backing plate. the adjustment 'screw' is not available separately.

in order to avoid rounding off this 'screw', if it gets frozen, the safest way to free it up is to remove the brake shoes and use a vice grips on the internal side of the adjustment 'screw'. with penetrating oil and work it loose that way. i had to do this yesterday and after oil and working it, it moves more freely, but not so much as to be ineffective in holding its position.

i've also dressed worn hex pattern with a file to help restore them for later use with a wrench.

Thanks for the reply. That's what I thought.......

Gil. Hernandez
'73 2002 - Fjord Blue
Austin, TX