• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front Bumper Early 1972 Install

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Anyone can point me in the right direction to install this front bumper, someone had removed the bumper and I have no idea how to put it back, I noticed two slots for the bracket I dont see what bolt to use and how to insert them in the slots. Thanks for any help.

It's a rather interesting experience. Loosely assemble the three bumper pieces, get a friend. You'll need new Saucer-head screws (carriage bolts) M8X20 2 on each side and Hex nut with plate, M8 plus wave washers. They slip into keyhole slots in the body, the carriage bolts go in head first. not very fun work, you'll need a friend, some good music and a 6er. Study the parts diagram and order new bolts, washers and nuts for everything, including the bumper. Make sure you have the aluminium spacer blocks (#15) to mount the bumper to the bumper bars, they are handed. If you want chrome carriage bolts for the top of your bumper they are NLA but bluedevils or ebay may have some. They will arrive yellow plated otherwise but you only need 2 for the tops. Your dealer will be able to order everything else and it's nice to have the correct length bolts. You can sub Hardware store parts but they don't really save any money.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=ST12&mospid=47140&btnr=51_3323&hg=51&fg=15

29.png

--> 1968 2002 <--

Guest Anonymous

My issue is that there is a one slot on one side of the bracket holder, the other side is not open. So what ever bolts you put in there would be locked from one side with the other side inside the frame.

My issue is that there is a one slot on one side of the bracket holder, the other side is not open. So what ever bolts you put in there would be locked from one side with the other side inside the frame.

Not sure, maybe post some pictures of what you have and others can chime in too. The bumper I installed was on a 68, not sure if the 72 is possibly different and I don't want to confuse you.

--> 1968 2002 <--

Guest Anonymous

pretty sure you need to attach the bolt to the bracket and slide the head of the bolt into the slot in the frame. The slot keeps it from turning while you tighten the nut.

Place the carriage like bolts in the slots, put the bracket on, the washer and nut. You may need to apply pressure on the bracket towards you, to keep the bolt from spinning as you tighten.

And on install, use masking tape on the any part of the body that the bumper may come near. it saves some scratching.

If all that fails, drill through the frame and just put a big butted bolt through.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

It's much easier to install the bumper brackets alone--one at a time than try to do the brackets whiile they're attached to the bumper blades.

That way you can put sideways pressure on the brackets to hold the carriage bolt heads in place while you run up the nuts. Leave the brackets slightly loose so you can assemble the three bumper blade pieces, and level the whole thing--level the bumper with the lower edge of the grille, not with the ground; otherwise it'll look crooked.

Also suggest using stainless steel carriage bolts for the brackets, so they'll come out in a few years when you want to remove the bumper.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

The carriage bolt head slides into the slot to hold the bracket in place, as stated several times above.

You can attach the brackets to the bumper, and slide the brackets through the holes in the nose panel, placing the bumper where you like it, then drill completely through the rail and then connect the brackets with bolts. Not the way it was done originally, but it will work.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

The carriage bolts slide into the key hole slot. The piece of metal behind the slot serves to hold the bolt in place as you tighten it. Sometimes the pressure to hold the head of the bolt is not enough and this is when you put the bolt into the keyhole slot, but the bracket over the bolt, then the nut and pull out on the bracket as you tighten it. The pressure of you pulling will cause enough friction between the head of the bolt and the frame rail, it will hold as you tighten.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Remember there is no hole on the other side of the frame, that'why someone said if else fail drill the frame. If you look at the pic from Real OEM the bolt goes thru the bracket and the frame you put the nut on the other side. It is not like that in mine.

72 BMW Tii
07 BMW 530 Xit wagon