• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what is up with tii prices?

bluelang

As with anything, cars are worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

the natural price that they go for is just the balance between how bad someone wants a tii versus how bad someone wants to sell a tii.

eBay has several options like price research and completed listings that tell a better story. If you do completed listings for 2002's you come up with only 9 of 21 sales being completed with the others failing to sell 'Reserve not met' or 'Best offer' not accepted. Highest price paid for any 2002 was $10,099 for 1974 tii. Next highest was an M20 conversion at $8,000. All other prices were below $6,000 with the bottom $749.

So over half the people selling cars are [asking more then people are willing to pay, think their cars are worth more then market, refusing to sell at market, holding out for a higher price, ...] It may be a good strategy to eventually make top dollar, I really don't know.

Understand I would like to wake up one morning and find my rat trap '02 will send my grand kids to Harvard, but it ain't going to happen. Reality is such a bitch.

Rick

this boomer has a son driving an 02 and a grandson helping restor the Tii Touring.I have a 1602 touring and a 74 sedan still driving them just cause I want too.

3421912 ask john

Red Baron a 74 sedanw/ dual webers ,spring,steins,bars. body shop for a full make over

Red Baroness a 71 1600 touring new to me and on the street in Limburg

Old Reliable a 93 318 m42's are soooo cool

eBay has several options like price research and completed listings that tell a better story. If you do completed listings for 2002's you come up with only 9 of 21 sales being completed with the others failing to sell 'Reserve not met' or 'Best offer' not accepted. Highest price paid for any 2002 was $10,099 for 1974 tii. Next highest was an M20 conversion at $8,000. All other prices were below $6,000 with the bottom $749.

there are 2 more that got bid up to 20k and didn't meet reserve. are you calling shenanigans?

$39k on CL (good luck), $20k reserve not met on ebay. Am I imagining things or has the price essentially doubled or more in the last year?

You can not base any trends with just two incompleted transactions. To get a better ideay ou have to get about six months worth of verifiable data. It is pretty difficult to price these cars, because they are different, even if bone stock!

There has been some interesting discussions as to where the value of the 02's will go. Most will agree that is simply supply and demand. I am of the opinion, that except for a selective small number of cars, in general the price will go down. Cost of parts, fuel and maintenance, will keep these cars grounded, so they will no longer be viable as "daily drivers". The number of people willing to shift and willing to just hear the noise of the motor is decreasing too. Less cars, but less interested buyers too, and an increasing number of "modern" cars entering the "classic" market, is going to render our beloved 02's to a not desirable option.

FAQ Member # 91

I'm fine with them not appreciating much...I didn't get into them as an investment anyway! They're great cars that evoke a great feeling for the people that are passionate about them, and that's all that matters...;-)

Also, because these cars are so cheap, a lot of people that wouldn't otherwise be able to afford a classic are getting into them...that's good AND bad. Good because more people get the opportunity and bad because people do some truly awful stuff in the name of 'customizing'....things that are usually reserved for ricer cars..(I still very much respect the quality that some people put into those mods, even if I don't totally agree with doing them to our cars..) Think about it...how many early 911s do you see driving around with rattle can paint jobs and 'just enough work done to make it run'? Let's face it, probably a majority of 02's are in pretty rough to maybe average shape, with repairs done by people who probably shouldn't be doing them, but have to because they can't afford the classic car hobby...With that said, though, that's what our special little culture is, and it's what makes us a little bit unique...we can be at a show or get together and someone with a concours quality car can be very happy trading stories with a guy whose car looks like a tackle box on wheels...:-)

-Stephen

For what its worth, Keith Martin still rates them as investment grade "C"

It might be interesting to see if Keith's viewpoint changes, now that he has a nice '72 Tii that I sold him two months ago.

'73 Tii - Malaga 2763751

'72 Tii - Turkis 2762380 - sold

'74 Turbo - silver 4290633 - sold

'76 Jade Green - sold

'74 Tii - Siennabraun 2781572 - sold

'76 Verona - bought new - sold

...Think about it...how many early 911s do you see driving around with rattle can paint jobs and 'just enough work done to make it run'?

All depends on the company you keep.

Search the Melee or Snowball or Motherlode rallies.

Yeah, there are some ~really~ nice cars, but there are some real rats.

As was said on this forum- Shiny paint ain't gonna get you home.

For me, the value only comes into play when I am selling the car, negotiating with my insurance company, or trying to convince my wife that dumping more money into the car is justified.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I think you misunderstood me a bit...I was really just trying to nicely say that, for the most part, the 911 crowd tends to have more money to put into their cars...not necessarily just paint, but mechanically speaking...most of the posts on this site are more 'budget minded'. Please don't take that the wrong way, I am definitely budget minded, too....and that doesn't make our hobby less cool, or whatever, than theirs, at all...just an observation..:-) Obviously there are many exceptions to these comments...not trying to start a battle, just enjoying the conversation..:-)