• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5 speed speedo drive toast?

goofycarp

Yeh I discovered that after the bushing adapter is coupled into the speedo cable, 2 divits on each side were punched in place so the cable would never fall off, kind of like a hub nut for a week where u have to dent the flange in on the spindle. That's why I can't re-use the adapter because of how soft the new aluminum cable end is and how distorted and jagged the inner area of the old adapter is.

75 2002 Metric Mechanics

01 Z3 3.0i

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think I'm going to try one last idea. I'm going to hone out the inside of the adapter to where it just slides onto the cable with no resistance and than try and punch a second set of divits to lock it into the hour glass part of the cable. If this works I will save myself a lot of trouble

75 2002 Metric Mechanics

01 Z3 3.0i

Good luck. If it doesn't work out I'll send you what I have for the cost of postage. Do you still have a working set screw that holds it together, the one that you screw into the dish in the hour glass on the speedo cable?

yes I still have the screw, and have discovered the jerk who owned the 02' before me didn't have to overkill that job when punching divits into the recessed rib area because now I have to drill them out, without damaging the brand new cable, and I also discovered that the adapter got severly warped when it was in the vice so it will not go back into the tranny all the way without brute force, which i'm sure isnt normal, nore a wise decision if it ever had to come back out.

I would highly appreciate taking any of your spare adapter parts as long as they're not warped or scuffed like mine, so I can put an end to this nightmare.

Thanks again

-Justin

75 2002 Metric Mechanics

01 Z3 3.0i

Hi Justin,

The assembly that I have should be perfect. No divits, no distortions and it's all complete. It should just slide right into the speedo drive cavity with no problems. What's your address and you can email me at gratteau@gmail.com and I'll send it out on Monday. Best Regards, Cort

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Justin, Just wanted to thank you for the $ you sent in the mail...you're a good man...did the drive assembly work out for you? I got mine installed but as I suspected the gear in the transmission isn't spinning so I will be without a speedometer until I replace the transmission...Cheers !!

Hey Justin, Just wanted to thank you for the $ you sent in the mail...you're a good man...did the drive assembly work out for you? I got mine installed but as I suspected the gear in the transmission isn't spinning so I will be without a speedometer until I replace the transmission...Cheers !!
yes thanks again. the whole assembly worked perfectly. the speedo works nice and smooth more so than my 01 z3 Roadster. I have to re align. the speedo adapter bolt because I believe its not allowing the bolt to seat all the way back in as it is shoving the inside of the adapter to a corner. should be an easy fix... knock on wood

75 2002 Metric Mechanics

01 Z3 3.0i

• 2 months later...

Walloth has the bushings in stock... I am ordering a couple of things from them. They are 7.90 euro if anyone wants to tag along.

FOR SALE-----74 2002tii 2782194 Turkis, Megasquirt, Korman road sport springs, Bilstein HD shocks, 13" FPS Bottle Caps

• 2 months later...
Walloth has the bushings in stock... I am ordering a couple of things from them. They are 7.90 euro if anyone wants to tag along.

Any chance you have one of the bushes to measure, height, i.d. etc? As they are NLA I'm guessing I'll have to make a substitute. Thanks.

1972 RHD Auto - Sold

1973 RHD Verona - Project

1974 RHD chamonix - Towed