• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacement panel paint quality

scanner

I've just received panels from Walloth and Nesch, a mixture of genuine BMW painted black and some Walloth repair panels painted a light grey. Should i strip off this paint and then epoxy primer, or scuff and epoxy primer over the supplied panel paint? In other words is the quality of the BMW/Walloth paint good enough to retain or is it poor quality and will compromise the subsequent paint coatings?

Semigloss BMW parts are good for paint. When I bought sheetmetal parts couple years ago rockers and one of rear quarters had this. But even some BMW parts have poor matte black paint, like other one of my quarter panels. Those and all aftermarket parts I would strip.

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

scratch them on a small unseen corner and see how easily it comes off. But TBH, the little hassle of taking the paint off is nothing to having to redo your cars paint cause it flakes off... I wouldn't take the risk.

Regards

Jacques

'71 2002 Malaga, fun weekender

'70 2002ti Colorado, Restoration/money pit

'74 2002 turbo in my dreams, sideways...

A buddy of mine who restores cars as a hobby sand blasts it all off on every part. Do it once the right way.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

And there's your answer- it varies!

I've gotten MT panels that were shot with a very durable epoxy.

I've also gotten MT panels that you could clean shiny with only a razor blade.

I do it this way- if it comes off easily, it all goes. If it's really tough and

durable, I scuff the bejezuz out of it, and seal over it.

When I have any doubts, it comes off. But if it won't come off,

then I don't have any doubts, and it stays on.

There you go.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I love Auckland...G'day mate. Strip the outside with chemical stripper and then treat the bare metal with zinc metal prep, epoxy primer and then base/clearcoat. Leave the crappy primer on the inside but sand it and epoxy prior to hanging the sheetmetal.

Can I stay with you when I visit NZ next time? I'll help you with the 02.

Bruce

72 Tii 2761525 Fjord- sunroof

73 Tii 2762870 Malaga- sunroof

73 Tii 2763356 Atlantic- sunroof

73 Tii 2763815 Fjord- sunroof

Thanks for all the replies, i scratch tested both paints, the BMW genuine panels were hard to scrach off and the Walloth panels scratched very easily, so ill be stripping the Walloth panels completly and applying epoxy primer, the BMW panels ill leave and apply an additional coat of epoxy primer.

BTW apart from the indifferent paint quality the Walloth panels look good, decent gauge steel and nice stampings - happy with them