• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A little timing advice, Please!

UroTrash

you switched the plugs wires around and you

weren't timing to zyl. # 1 ???

i'd loose some sleep tonite.

LOL! thank goodness I wasn't that dumb!

Actually, the whole thing was a teaching lesson for my daughter (who wants to learn how to work on cars, we did all the clutch hydraulics last week).

I coached her through an oil change, setting the valves, plugs, wires, all the things in the dizzy.

After we were all done, the grand finale was to show her how to use the timing light and dwell meter to get the car humming!

Imagine my chagrin when I couldn't get it to run well.....

Anyway its running great now.

This week ends lesson for her is changing the tranny fluid and the rear end fluid.

thanks to everyone for their help! :)

1970 Nevada 2002 Survivor

1975 Golf 2002 Project

1972 Atlantik 2002tii

I had a hesitation / miss when going up hills when I drove my cab home for the first time. It turned out to be sediment in my fuel filter that would plug the flow of gas to the carb and starve the engine. Something else to consider.

Good luck,

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

I had a hesitation / miss when going up hills when I drove my cab home for the first time. It turned out to be sediment in my fuel filter that would plug the flow of gas to the carb and starve the engine. Something else to consider.

Good luck,

Mark92131

Oh Mark, what a lovely lovely car. If you ever want to sell...... :)

1975 Golf 2002 Project

1972 Atlantik 2002tii

Instead of hijacking a registered forum members post why don't you offer him further questions or advise to his questions.

You know as much about post hijacking as you do about the words advice and advise. A further response to your post is not a hijacking simply because you disagree with the response or dislike it. Your advice about cold engine operation was incomplete and hardly germaine to an original post entitled timing advice and concerned with misfiring - when the engine is at normal operating temperatures. How about thinking twice before volunteering information unless you truly understand the subject matter?

BigDog timing via ear rather than using a timing light makes sense when an engine is modified or worn, e.g., different camshaft, higher or even lower compression and worn distributor. Deviating from recommended timing settings may be needed due to changes in altitude, octane or when attempting to optimize gears and operating rpm. It is also possible, as JimK noted, that your "mis" is related to a too lean condition. This could result from too much timing or - a carburetor that is jetted too lean. This, for those that read the archives, may include idle jets, main jets, air correction jets and even emulsion tubes.

As I suspected you could not stand it....it ate at you until you had to give in to your sick obsession of another person. First this is a PUBLIC forum and yet you attempt to control what you have no control of. Secondly you are not only obsessive but extremely disrespectful to the original poster. If you feel the URGE to contact me do so to my email and save everyone your illness. You should be ashamed of yourself. Yours is a very demented sick mind. And to make you obsession even worse this is the last time I will respond to any of your useless, pathetic comments. I will continue to comment on posts if I feel I can help so you have done nothing to me in that regard...UROTRASH I apologize for the disrespect to your post

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

Guest Anonymous

Timing using the elusive "BALL" requires 3 hands. One for the light, one for the distributor and one to get the rpm where you want it. It also helps if you are cross-eyed so you can look for the BB on the fly wheel and the tach at the same time. I just use the pulley and set it at idle. Then check for max centrifical advance between 38 and 42 degrees and all in at 2700 rpm.

The miss under power is usually an electrical problem as the breakdown voltage required to ionize the mixture goes up as the charge in the cylinder gets denser. Look for the problem on the high voltage side of the ignition. Could be a arck over in your cap or a faulty plug wire new or not or a plug that is not good.

Have fun

Guest Anonymous
this thread is getting really weird....

Weird, incoherent . . . crazy?

Glad you have everything running again. :) Some may not have noticed this.

Are registered members exempt from exaggerating and playing the victim for street cred? LOL

this thread is getting really weird....

Weird, incoherent . . . crazy?

Glad you have everything running again. :) Some may not have noticed this.

Are registered members exempt from exaggerating and playing the victim for street cred? LOL

Yeah, but they are so cute when they are playing!

1975 Golf 2002 Project

1972 Atlantik 2002tii

Guest Anonymous
As I suspected you could not stand it....it ate at you until you had to give in to your sick obsession of another person. First this is a PUBLIC forum and yet you attempt to control what you have no control of. Secondly you are not only obsessive but extremely disrespectful to the original poster. If you feel the URGE to contact me do so to my email and save everyone your illness. You should be ashamed of yourself. Yours is a very demented sick mind. And to make you obsession even worse this is the last time I will respond to any of your useless, pathetic comments. I will continue to comment on posts if I feel I can help so you have done nothing to me in that regard...UROTRASH I apologize for the disrespect to your post

You should give non-fiction writing a try.

Incidentally, notice CD's suggestion that choke adjustment was better left for another thread?