• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

fuel pump leak advice

robsanab

my fuel pump is leaking out the weep hole (bottom half of pump). It is a newer pump (low miles, maybe 5-6 years old?), it is the type with the screws around the unit in order to change out the diaphragm.

Since I need to get her back on the road I am going to buy a new pump and have it shipped 2nd day. But I would like to rebuild this one as a spare.

1) has anyone had success rebuilding these?

2) when it leaks through the weep hole, is that just a hole in the diaphragm or something else as well?

3) since it's a newer pump, can I just replace the diaphragm? (item 7)

4) how long should a pump last?

I notice there is a rebuild kit too, but it's less than 30 bucks shy of a new pump, plus like I said, this pump doesn't have many hours on it.

here's the diagram:

http://www.bmwmobiletradition-online.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=2214&mospid=47140&hg=13&fg=10

thanks!

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)

Italian aftermarket replacements, try a place that specializes in air cooled Beetle parts--VWs of the same era use essentially the same fuel pump, and the rebuild kits interchange.

If it's an Italian pump, you might try making a new diaphragm from fabric-reinforced neoprene sheet. Otherwise you're SOL.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Italian aftermarket replacements, try a place that specializes in air cooled Beetle parts--VWs of the same era use essentially the same fuel pump, and the rebuild kits interchange.

If it's an Italian pump, you might try making a new diaphragm from fabric-reinforced neoprene sheet. Otherwise you're SOL.

yes it's a pierburg. I don't mind spending the money... just want to know if a diaphragm is all that's usually needed and if it's reliable fix. i was just surprised this guy leaked so early... a bit discouraging.

Rob

a leak. That is kinda unusual--my '69's OEM pump lasted something like 20+ years before dying, and I was able to rebuild it with a VW fuel pump rebuild kit--when they were still available from VW.

You did, of course make sure the preipheral screws were good and tight, as well as the cap that covers the filter screen. If the cap is loose and/or the gasket is bad, that will cause the pump to leak.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

a leak. That is kinda unusual--my '69's OEM pump lasted something like 20+ years before dying, and I was able to rebuild it with a VW fuel pump rebuild kit--when they were still available from VW.

You did, of course make sure the preipheral screws were good and tight, as well as the cap that covers the filter screen. If the cap is loose and/or the gasket is bad, that will cause the pump to leak.

cheers

mike

duh, actually i didn't... I'll go out and check now... thanks for the info.

Has anyone got info on just which kit to get? Like I said I see the one in realOEM, but it would be neat to find a local VW one to try... maybe cheaper too.

Yes, i thought this was way premature... I haven't owned the car since the beginning but I believe the pump I took off 5-6 years ago was on there since '85-ish... obviously the older type without the peripheral screws.

Rob