• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Two different brand calipers a problem?

DUDOK

I have the front end all a part and noticed that the calipers are two different brands. The P.O. said they were replaced a few years back. One says ATE and the other just some numbers. The car did pull somewhat to one side under braking. Is this a problem or should I just check to make sure all pistons work and replace the pads (have new rotors going in)? I will also be replacing all the hard brake lines and have new s.s. flex ones also (they have been on the car for a year now along with a new master cylinder).

thanks

Tim

'69 1600 M42

'13 500 Abarth

this time replace BOTH calipers with same - either both new

or both ReMan calipers

replaceing just one caliper and leaving one of many years old ist nicht ok

they don't match in performance, wear, condition - not good.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

If you replace them dont forget the calipers are different for each side. (Bleeder points up.)

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

IMHO, making a hodge-podge of your braking system is a bad practice.

I mean afterall, they're your Brakes !!

If an engine fails, it's inconvenient. If the brakes fail, it can be so much more ! There's just no point, and a false economy, not to do it right.

Also, look for the DOT mark on the Steel flex-lines. If not DOT approved, they tend to loosen with time. The only issues here are if you have non-dot approved, you need to add a tightening check to your annual maintenance list, and there is the possibility your insurance could go sideways in a claim, if they were discovered, for not using approved parts (most policies cover this in the fine print).

Spend the $100 and never have to worry about it again.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

It seems there are two separate questions here: (1) what is causing the brakes to pull, and (2) does caliper brand matter? If the calipers are not the cause of the pulling problem, I would be fine with stock-type calipers with different markings. As long as they are the same design, same piston diameter, and same piston material, there should be no problem. They could in fact be made by the same manufacturer--or not. Realize pulling to one side under braking can come from the brake system, suspension issues, or even chassis issues. I would not want to mix a six-piston Brembo with a four piston Wilwood in front, but that is a lot different than mixing two OEM design calipers.

Fred '74tii

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)