• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need inside diagram of window crank and spring

webthread

Kind of having a "911" sitaution here, i was halfway through with my xmas eve errands today and when rolling down my pass window i rolled it all the way down and hurn a clink, and the crank spun freely. I just got it home and took off the door panel and looked inside and the coiled spring was laying in the bottom of the door. Of course, this is xmas eve and i have other stuff to do, i was looking for the diagram of a member on here that was restoring a red car and he had the mechanism completely out of the door, which is basiclaly exaclty what i need. i at least need to get the window up for the night. if anyone has a "quick suggestion" or knows what resto pics of the red 02 I'm talking about, that would be great. I searched and found tons of advice for the windows, but nothing with a clear picture of what it needs to look like when i put it back. thanks in advance and happy holidays. i would just deal with this tomorrow or next week, but i can't park it inside.

1971 BMW 2002 Chamonix

ok, i found a pic of what i need on another post, the big wheel with the teeth has broken from the rectangular panel that bolts to the door, so i guess I'll be going over to the "parts" forum now.... it looks like the metal literally just broke off at the center. there was also evidence of a previous repair where someone used a 1977 penny as a shim. needless to say that wasn't in the previous owner's notes... (haha)

id,63700

1971 BMW 2002 Chamonix

Hi, I'm not far from you in Palos Verdes.

I have a passenger crank that is in good condition. You can have it for $25.

Keep that window up anyway you can (wood blocks... whatever), enjoy your Christmas and I can meet up with you Monday morning.

Let me know.

Email me at mdecnpv@gmail.com or call: 310 - Four Eight 9 - 0 three 64

Merry Christmas,

Mike

73 tii #2764014

Guest Anonymous

Cut a scrap piece of wood to fit between the bottom of the window rail and the bottom, inside of the door. It needs to be about 20" - measure the distance while someone holds the window fully up.

that broke, it's relatively easy to make a replacement in steel that will last much longer than the pot metal original--all you need is a grinder and a hacksaw...

I did a Roundel how-to column on this fix; drop me an e-mail if you'd like a copy.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite