• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recommendation for Motive Products Brake Bleeder

thehackmechanic

I'll write about this in Roundel sometime, but I want to give a hearty (and completely uncompensated) recommendation to the Motive Products brake bleeder

http://www.amazon.com/Motive-Products-Bleeder-Adapters-European/dp/B0002KM5L0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323640902&sr=8-1

You pour up to two quarts of brake fluid into it, screw its cap in place of the brake fluid reservoir cap, pump it up, and walk around from wheel to wheel and bleed, occasionally returning to the Motive to pump it back up. This is much easier than the Gunison EZ Bleed I've used for nearly 20 years, as 1) the Gunison ran off pressure from a tire, and 2) you had to frequently depressurize the Gunison and unscrew its cap to add fluid to the reservoir.

The $53 red label model has a plastic cap with a non-swiveling hose, requiring you to pre-twist the hose before threading the cap onto the reservoir. For about $20 more you can buy the black label model that comes with a nice knurled aluminum cap that has a swivel fitting in the middle, eliminating the pre-twisting ritual.

I've had to do some serial brake work on a recently-purchased 3.0CS requiring iterative bleeding, and it's been great.

The one downside is that some care has to be taken depressurizing and disconnecting so as not to get brake fluid everywhere. I found that unscrewing the cap on the bleeder tank to release the pressure, bending the hose so only a small amount of fluid will gravity-feed into the reservoir, then cracking open a bleed valve and gravity-bleeding the brakes for a minute drew the level down enough.

With Christmas coming, drop some hints on this to your spouse.

--Rob

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

I got one of the first ones several years ago. The non-swivel hose was an issue, so I did try to cobble together my own swivel using all the hoses and fittinga I could find at my work in the hospital.

It ended up that my usage was so infrequent that I was OK with just doing the pre-load twist on the hose before screwing on the lid.

I did come up with a plug that I could insert in the cap to keep the air away from the brake fluid when not in use. Comes in handy for when you have a couple of days break between service uses. After a few days, just dump the unused fluid- the stuff is cheap, don't chance it.

The only problem with the plug I put in the cap is when I forget to remove it. You pump up the bleeder, get undr the car, and fluid trickles out. WTF? I guess I need to make an Alice Cooper sign to put on the bleeder- "Hey Stoopid!"

Other than that, good tool for the shade tree hacks like me/us.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

BavAuto also has a great bleeder. It includes a catch bottle. These bottles make the job soooo easy.

Don

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

Here, here to all comments.

I've found that blue brake fluid adds a nice cerulean tint to the tubing. If it gets cloudy enough you can't see the fluid inside. Homer Depot offers good replacement tubing.

Couple other things I know about this contraption:

- 10-12 psi is fine. I don't think our poor, tired, brake fluid reservoirs see anything more than atmospheric pressure, so no sense in blowing the thing up.

- I try to put the cannister lower than the car's flid reservoir and unscrew the cap like Rob stated.

- Consider using different clamps for the tubing. You guys with e36 (and beyond) power steering reservoirs know what I mean.

- The cheapskate in me, well, the real me, doesn't want to waste an ounce of brake fluid. Just take note where the pick- up line is in the cannister and tilt the cannister accordingly.

Happy motoring!

PS Rob: another coupe?? Gotta read about it!

74 '02- M2 under construction by SnailPace Restoration, Inc.

88 M3 unmodified when retired from track

97 332is CrewCab (M3/4/5 )

99 MCoupe-- track rat

had one for years, i never put fluid in the thing. just use it as an air source to pressure bleed. no mess to clean up.

I use 10psi on 2002 system. 20 psi on e30, e36 and e46. all combined with pedal pushing.

iirc, bavauto/bmpd/motive all the same product with different labels.

i also have an EZ Bleed. also nice unit. smaller capacity but uses a tire for its pressure source.

2xM3

I have the standard Motive bleeder and love it. It gets used on my F-150 and BMWs with only a change of the end-cap fitting needed. The only issues I have with it are minor: the swivel cap would have been nice (but it is not too big of a PITA) and a certain blue brake fluid stained the clear hoses after one use.

- Justin

1973 2002tii

The toolbox is where truth and contentment lie... -James May

Hemostats... must have a pair of those around here somewhere

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)