• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TUning Issues for megasquirt.

fiftytakedowns

Hey, I have been trying to tune my 2002 for the past couple of months, and I pretty much Suck at it. I dont know what is going on, and Ive tried everything from hundreds of Maps and SPark maps etc etc. I'm getting tired of pulling everything apart only to find nothing really wrong, but I can't get it to run right.

But for some Reason During Low RPMs the car sputters around, almost sounding like a WRX. Then as the Upper RPMS kick the car begins to really start to run smooth. Except when I begin to punch it it will get occasional misfires.

It maaay help

the sound is pretty washed out

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/peaceville/?action=view¤t=Movie14.mp4

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=43044

Hey, I have been trying to tune my 2002 for the past couple of months, and I pretty much Suck at it. I dont know what is going on, and Ive tried everything from hundreds of Maps and SPark maps etc etc. I'm getting tired of pulling everything apart only to find nothing really wrong, but I can't get it to run right.

But for some Reason During Low RPMs the car sputters around, almost sounding like a WRX. Then as the Upper RPMS kick the car begins to really start to run smooth. Except when I begin to punch it it will get occasional misfires.

From your description, it is running lean across the board, both light and heavy load. Richen it up a by 10% to see if it runs better. I'd guess your actual AFR now is around 17. However as was said by the post above, a wideband O2 readout and closed loop setup is what you need to make it right.

I first put EFI on in 2004 and have five different ECUs (going on 6) for the same car, always adding on features.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

I do have wideband, sometimes Id have it running as rich as 10:1 and and I wouldaim for about 12.5:1 cause anywhere higher it would just be worse.

I tried dilly dallying around with lots of AFR's.

Whats your recommended AFr Targets?

does your wideband unit is calibrated ?

i am not that much familiar with the MS, but do you take the readout of the afr from the wide band unit directly, or is passes thru the MS then you get the readout on the lap top?

if it where me i would check the type of afr signal the MS expect. Maybe it is looking for a narrow band unit, which doesnt have the same voltage output/curve as most of the wide band units have...just a thought. that would mess up all you adjustements if its the case. worth a check.

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

42# injectors!!!!!!! you must be kidding.....bigger is not always better.....you'll never get good fuel control with those injectors at low throttle.....If you think you need that much fuel you should stage a second set of injectors at high power.

and FWIW..... we have had very poor luck with MSNS ....never got it to run nearly as well as MS2 v2.89.......

DaveG

and I'm megasquirtstupid (so far... we'll see how the land cruiser project goes)

but at 10:1, you'll bog horribly too. It just goes 'soft'.

But yeah, if you really are running 42 lb injectors, that ain't gonna work....

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL