• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

idle mixture screw set up

BimmerBoy2

Guest Anonymous

it controls the fuel/air mixure at idle. Unscrew it about 2 turns and then slowly screw it in while the car is idling. When the idle speed begins to decline, unscrew it 1/8 turn.

Guest Anonymous

start with it all the way in. Or unscrew it slowly from where it is now until the idle speed drops, then screw it in until the speed increases and then just begins to decrease. You want to be on the "screwed-in" side of the best idle speed mixture.

Here's my suggestion. Start with the screw where it is now. Start the engine, and start screwing it in 1/2 turn at a time. You should be able to see and hear the engine start to stumble before you bottom out the screw. Once it starts stumbling, back the screw out to where it stops stumbling. Voila.

Guest Anonymous

you are over- worrying this - screwing it all the way in isn't going to damage anything. But if you don't want to do that, follow the suggestions we've made to move it in and out gradually (that's what....) until you find the sweet spot.

you'll know its all the way in because it will bottom out- won't turn anymore. the point is not to tighten it like you don't want it coming loose, like a screw. and its not that you need to worry about the "internals" of the carburetor, but the mixture screw itself is a calibrated, finely machined taper- that's what you can damage by cranking it down.

I just did this today. I'm assuming you have a 32/36, most of us do...

BEFORE you adjust the mix, unscrew the idle jet and make sure it's clean. simple procedure; can save you weeks of retardedness (me)

What I did to adjust the mixture:

unscrew the mix screw. remove it and clean the end. reinstall, tighten until it will not turn anymore with my fingers. it does not offer a lot of resistance, so it's easy to turn by hand.

then:

back the screw out 2 1/2 turns. Start your engine and see how it runs. adjust accordingly. 2 1/2 give or take 1/4 USUALLY does it for most cars, lets see about yours.

1974 Malaga 2002 4282899 "Little Red"

1976 Polaris 2002 2374061 "Rusty Shackleford" 

1998 Dk. Blue Volvo S70 T5 "Carlene"- 221k Miles 

I just did this today. I'm assuming you have a 32/36, most of us do...

BEFORE you adjust the mix, unscrew the idle jet and make sure it's clean. simple procedure; can save you weeks of retardedness (me)

What I did to adjust the mixture:

unscrew the mix screw. remove it and clean the end. reinstall, tighten until it will not turn anymore with my fingers. it does not offer a lot of resistance, so it's easy to turn by hand.

then:

back the screw out 2 1/2 turns. Start your engine and see how it runs. adjust accordingly. 2 1/2 give or take 1/4 USUALLY does it for most cars, lets see about yours.

Ahah! I believe I just commented on your YouTube video, suggesting you visit this site. Please ignore my suggestion and carry on.

Cheers,

Grice

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”