• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any new Fiat 500 owners here yet?

TonyHavana

Nice looking car for your wife, girl friend, sister, mom or any other individual that likes to wear a skirt or a dress from time to time.

Yes, yes, we all know who the target market of a 'cute' car is. But before you judge the car in its entirety, take one for a drive. The miata pulled off the same trick.

If you are looking for more of a Butch look, either wait for the sheath that Jim showed above or buy one of the million add-ons offered by fiat and other aftermarket people...

Its hard to fit a late 60s 20ft muscle car into a 13ft parking space in the city.

J Swift
Global Formula Racing (Oregon State University)

1972 Opel GT "Mae"

Driving home (late) from work today, I passed by a young woman driving a new Fiat 500 on the Beltway.

Of all the colors for a hot, new Italian car, she chose SAHARA TAN. Sorry to those Sahara Vintage BMW owners here.

What a complete waste of money on a new car. The Fiat screams "look at me, I'm new" Not a Sahara Fiat 500.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

same comment as jim about that nasty light olive drab green color on the 500 that parks next to me at work. kind of funny that i look UP at the fiat 500 from the drivers seat of my e30. the 500 is scary tall considering its track and wheelbase.

fiat 500, mini, miata, boxtser.....chick cars....;-)

although i did see a miata with a chevy small block in it...not chick car!

2xM3

Driving home (late) from work today, I passed by a young woman driving a new Fiat 500 on the Beltway.

Of all the colors for a hot, new Italian car, she chose SAHARA TAN. Sorry to those Sahara Vintage BMW owners here.

What a complete waste of money on a new car. The Fiat screams "look at me, I'm new" Not a Sahara Fiat 500.

Sahara Tan ? Get with it ! It is "mocha latte".

Dirk

BMW Classic Car Club of America - www.bmwccca.com

'73 2002 tii - '72 2002 (targa) Cabriolet - '71 2002 (voll) Cabriolet - '71 2002 Rally - '71 2002 Alpina A2 - '70 2002 ti - '68 1600 GT - '65 1800 TI

Sahara Tan ? Get with it ! It is "mocha latte".

Sorry Dirk. I was trying to relate the Fiat color to a 2002. Hope all is well in Florida!

pics5292010012.jpg

Jim Gerock

• 2 weeks later...

crack me up. i get to omaha, ne on biz. go to enterprise rental counter at airport. car option...ford focus..oh wait...they can give me a chevy cruz instead. then they laugh and say "you are too tall so we won't give you the fiat". what? did you say fiat? i'll take it!

so i am driving around in a bright red fiat 500 with white/red interior. car is actually not bad. can't stop laughing looking at it or driving it. neither can people around me. they only charged me one night of parking instead of two at the hotel 'cause i only had half a car. no joke! receptionist thought it was cute and only charged half....

gotta love "sport" mode. have not figured out what effect it has..thing is dog slow no matter if it is on or not...

2xM3

crack me up. i get to omaha, ne on biz. go to enterprise rental counter at airport. car option...ford focus..oh wait...they can give me a chevy cruz instead. then they laugh and say "you are too tall so we won't give you the fiat". what? did you say fiat? i'll take it!

so i am driving around in a bright red fiat 500 with white/red interior. car is actually not bad. can't stop laughing looking at it or driving it. neither can people around me. they only charged me one night of parking instead of two at the hotel 'cause i only had half a car. no joke! receptionist thought it was cute and only charged half....

gotta love "sport" mode. have not figured out what effect it has..thing is dog slow no matter if it is on or not...

There might be some kind of limiter that rental companies put on their cars...

Nah.....no limiter. It is just slow. Of course slow is relative, I was driving my M2 the day before I got here.....

Fiat jumps out for first half inch of pedal travel, then the next two inches just produce a lot of high revving noise. Got a whopping 25mpg over 150miles of driving. Brakes are massively over boosted....breath on the brake pedal and they come on hard.

Fun to drive? Yup.

Rent one again? yup.

Buy one? No way.

Unless....theY make an abarth version with AWD and 200hp....

2xM3

You get "fun" rentals. I am always stuck with crap since we have to stick to a certain budget when traveling. Yes, I ask for free upgrades.

I once had a Mazda MPV minivan in Alabama, a Dodge Neon in Atlanta, Chevy Cavalier and Cobalt in Iowa, Chrysler Sebring and Plymouth Breeze in Florida, Ford Ranger 2WD pickup in Columbia, SC, something else stupid in Las Vegas (driving to Southern Utah). Also a nice Honda Accord and Ford Explorer in Cleveland, Mercury Grand Marquis in MA and many more than I can remember.

Jim Gerock

• 2 weeks later...