• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

KFish Off By One Tooth

cxzsaq

New belt.

Howver, at tdc (via crank & lobes & oil stick indicators), i continue to be off by about half, to one full tooth on the kfish.

how do i fix this and is this an issue at all?

Sorry for crappy photo - not ideal angle, should be slightly more than half a tooth off - really closer to one tooth. car runs now - but again, is this a worrying issue?

IMG_9389.jpg

You are fine. That is just about exactly how mine looks. I am offset by 1/3 of a tooth. If you pulled the head and put a dial gauge on the piston you could find exact TDC and see how it lines up with the KF. I have done crude TDC before with a long thin screwdriver through the spark plug hole, but that was just in an emergency. I suppose if you have oil pan off you could use a dial indicator on the bottom of a rod to find exact TDC without pulling the head.

Fred '74tii

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

You are fine. That is just about exactly how mine looks. I am offset by 1/3 of a tooth. If you pulled the head and put a dial gauge on the piston you could find exact TDC and see how it lines up with the KF. I have done crude TDC before with a long thin screwdriver through the spark plug hole, but that was just in an emergency. I suppose if you have oil pan off you could use a dial indicator on the bottom of a rod to find exact TDC without pulling the head.

Fred '74tii

thank you Fred.

Head was likely skimmed in the past.

This puts the camshaft physically closer to the crank. Since the tensioner is past the sprokets, it results in retarded timing.

Haven't done the calculation for the '02, but likely one tooth = 3°-7° retarded timing (+K-Fish).

I do know that one tooth on the timing belt on my Lotus Esprit = 6° retard.

This is why there are adjustable cam sprokets, so you can recoup the difference.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

Here is mine - the cylinder head is at the minimum thickness.

PDC = pretty darn close

ea3f70d5.jpg

If you get it running smoothly - don't fret over the exact tooth/mark match. Enjoy your tii!!!

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"