• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TII missing after warm up

pmo

Hello,

I had my TII fully setup and running perfect when I put it into storage in the fall (October). I added some fuel stabilizer as well. I finally pulled it out this weekend and the car started up perfectly on the first try. The car drove perfectly throughout the warm up phase. Once I got to the full operating temperature after letting it warm for 10-20 minutes the car started to miss (read: not fire on all cylinders). The condition would be such that if I put my foot to the floor the engine would bog down for 1 or 2 seconds then fire perfectly, then bog down again. That cycle would continue. Even on medium to high load it would do this after warm. If I let the car sit for a few minutes it works great again but the condition quickly returns (ie, in 2-3 mins).

Here is my hypothesis.

The car is running well during warm up because of the enriched mixture provided by the warm up regulator.

When the enrichment level disengages the car is getting too lean causing the engine not to spark. I even threw in octane booster to see if that would help matters, but it didn't.

Also the plugs are new, I added petronix, there are no points, the cap is new etc etc. I can't remember but i think my wires and coil are new too. They look pretty new.

Any thoughts?

Paul Moretto

1972 BMW 2002 tii

always!

compression test

valve adjustment!!

fuel system pressure test = no fuel pressure =

no run to good - it's fuel injection

your not driving it enough, and sitting gas no matter

how treated is not good

and then this always assumes you have the correct linkage adjustments,

and correct hot idle Co% adjustment

it's the whole package - not alacarte that counts owning a tii

and your motor is probably suffering from this :

CARBONvalves.jpg

......comes from infrequent driving, many years of build-up,

not using fresh TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline,

need for decarbonization, more frequent oil changes,

correct air/fuel settings

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

CD is spot on....except I'm starting to believe modern fuel has a pretty respectable shelf life compared to the stuff from the 80s-70s.

Weeping cold start injector? Try clamping off the hose that feeds it and see if the problem clears up. Download a copy of the tii tuning manual and test the temp/time switch, etc. Make sure the linkage is 100% PERFECT (pump to throttle body linkage for instance) , or you'll chase your tail for days.

How do you KNOW it's too lean?

Check for vacuum leaks!

HTH!

paul wegweiser

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

I vote for a valve adjustment. I neglected my car for quite a while. Started to think it was ignition, plugs, distributor, etc... I finally opened it up and started off with a valve adjustment. I was amazed at how much better the car ran and idled just from a couple of valves being tight.

If it does not cure the problem, at least it is eliminated from the list of possibilities.

And yes, tii's hate to sit.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

This car is like a swiss watch.

1. I'll work on servicing all the fuel screens to start and see where that gets me.

2. I'll refresh the gas after and see if that buys me anything

3. After that I may try a valve adjustment, but i don't know the procedure on that.

I am going to get a fuel pressure gauge and I want to buy all the TII tuning tools, so I guess I am looking for a source for those. If all of the above fail I'll run through the whole procedure as laid out in the manual.

As a side note, what does everyone do for winterizing their cars, I know all the southern states are fine, but what about the North East and Canada? Do people run them in their garage over the winter so the car doesn't sit too long?

Paul Moretto

1972 BMW 2002 tii

Paul,

There are threads on here where most have fabricated their own tii tune up tools. Do the "Site Search" and see what comes up.

I am in Maryland and I try to find times during the winter to at least run if not drive the cars.

here is one on the puller

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/p,616583/highlight,/sid,a68d995da965477ad20343301e3ee8f2/

One more thread

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,283356/highlight,tii+tools/

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

• 1 year later...

Just an update. I think this has everything to do with bad gas and ethanol (e10) gas. Putting in a high quality premium fuel seems to have remedied the situation. Any regular grade gas seems to contain ethanol so I've moved up to an all premium schedule.

Paul Moretto

1972 BMW 2002 tii

http://pure-gas.org/extensions/map.html

Go there ;-)

Cheers,

Ray

Just an update. I think this has everything to do with bad gas and ethanol (e10) gas. Putting in a high quality premium fuel seems to have remedied the situation. Any regular grade gas seems to contain ethanol so I've moved up to an all premium schedule.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

http://pure-gas.org/extensions/map.html

Go there ;-)

Cheers,

Ray

Thanks for this reference. There are a few close by here.

Paul Moretto

1972 BMW 2002 tii