• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Brake Gotchas?

MrSharky

All -

Just about done with the front brake jobs (only took 3 weeks!) and so I've got her up on stands, wheels off, fully exposed. Was thinking I should inspect the rear brakes - just wondering if there are any "gotchas" in doing that - common failure items and such. I'd really like to get her back on the road for at least a little while before I dive into another project, so I'm worried something's going to break in the process.... Feel like I should at least take off the drums and have a peek, though.

Matt

I needed a car, and a hobby....

Nor'East '02ers-

www.bmw2002.us

Betty VIN 4229155

The original colour was Malaga, paint code 021

SiteNamecopy.jpg

Pretty straight forward , the only thing likely to give you trouble is seized brake adjusters , see search engine for various solutions .

72/2002 Inca

72tii/2002 "Apple"

70/2002 "Five "

73/2002 "Freeda"

2007 Lotus 7 Replica

2011 Ford xr6 Ute

85 E30 325

70 1600-2 "Orange"

The rear brakes are stupid simple. Look for even wear on the pads. Most aren't adjusted evenly. The biggest 'gotcha' is the adjusters. They are hex heads on the backs of the plates. There is a front and a back, and in my experience, they freeze up and strip. Most I have seen look like the front wasn't even touched, because its hiding in a tight spot between the plate and the control arm. This is why most aren't adjusted evenly.

To remove the shoes is rather easy. Pop out the big spring in the bottom up and out and the shoes just lift out. Then twist and the e-brake cable will come off the hooked lever. Re-install bottom first with the top spring installed, and spread the shoes over the wheel cylinders. DO NOT try and install that little spring after everything is in place.. You will loose.

Just so happens that I posted for sale two sets of backing plates that were buried in my garage from california cars that have very nice adjusters due to the dry climate.

Hope this helps.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

In order to remove the rear brake drums I loosen up the retaining/adjusting nuts (two/cable) on the emergency brake cables at the handle in the cockpit.

This is the time to adjust the rear brakes and emergency brakes. The whole system depends on this correct adjustment. Here's a link to an excellent tutorial on the procedure:

http://www.zeebuck.com/bimmers/tech/rearbrakes.html

Bob Napier

Awesome info all - great link Bob - that's going in the binder.

JG - I'll keep yer parts in mind as I inspect Betty... I still haven't seen what's there yet, so I don't know what i need yet. Guessing everything, but who knows.

Matt

I needed a car, and a hobby....

Nor'East '02ers-

www.bmw2002.us

Betty VIN 4229155

The original colour was Malaga, paint code 021

SiteNamecopy.jpg

Awesome info all - great link Bob - that's going in the binder.

JG - I'll keep yer parts in mind as I inspect Betty... I still haven't seen what's there yet, so I don't know what i need yet. Guessing everything, but who knows.

Matt

Sounds good. There are really good drums in that batch too, from when I did the disc conversion. I posted just for folks in your situation.. didn't have the heart to scrap the parts.

Have fun with Betty!

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,356796/

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002