• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How is this possible?

02for2

The BMW 2002 A US VIN 2392735 was manufactured on May 21st, 1976 and delivered on May 25th, 1976 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Sahara, paint code 006.

This is my car. How was it possible to manufacture the car on 5/21/76 and deliver it to Hoffman Motors in NYC on 5/25/76?

I'm certain these were not delivered by air, and I don't know of any ocean going transport which can traverse the Atlantic in 4 days.

Could it be that it was invoiced to Hoffman Motors on 5/25 while still in Germany?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

Same for me, and here is the response:

Dear Mr Sislane,

The delivery date mentioned in the book is most likely the date when the car left the factory storage, not the date when it arrived in the US.

We hope this is helpful for you.

Yours sincerely,

Andreas Harz

-----------------------------------------

Available at BMW Group Classic

Phone: +49 89 382 68281

Fax: +49 89 382 24765

mailto: andreas.harz@partner.bmwgroup.com

URL: http://www.bmw-grouparchives.com

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Hello Mr. Harz,

I was looking at the Manufacture date and delivery date for this VIN, and curious how they could be just 3 days apart?:

> The BMW 2002 US VIN 2379667 was manufactured on February 16th, 1976

> and delivered on February 19th, 1976 to BMW of Montvale, New Jersey

> The original colour was Pastel Blue, paint code 044.

Regards,

Scott Sislane

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

The "delivery date" supplied by Mobile Tradition (BMW Classic) refers to the date at which the car's ownership was transferred to the US importer. That happened in Germany, so the factory had no liability or responsibility for any damage that occurred once the car was shipped from the factory.

If you look at delivery dates on cars that were sold in Germany, the delivery date was to the dealer or reseller (for military or diplomatic sales, for example) and is usually a longer period of time.

My '69 was slightly damaged during shipping from Germany (dented driver's door) and it was Hoffman Motors that paid for the repair, not BMW AG.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

documentation that my '69 sunroof was a tourist delivery car that was picked up at the factory and driven in Europe for several weeks.

My guess is that cars ordered through a US dealer for delivery in Europe were considered to have been "delivered" to Hoffman once the car was built and the purchase paperwork was done at the US dealer - where the owner actually took possession of the car doesn't appear to be reflected in the factory records at all.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)