• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

intermittent problems with lights

BMW0299

I took my '76 02 to get it inspected and the first time the low beams would not come on. I was able to flash the high beams before it once (with parking lights on) before I pulled the knob all the way to show the low beams. They did not come on, neither did the high beams.

I cleaned the three relays (on the left fender) thinking the problem might be there and the lights came on afterwards.

I went back to get it inspected again and this time (with working low/high beams) the parking lights on the right side did not come on. I was about to give up but pushed the knob in and pulled it out again and BINGO, all parking lights came on.

Any ideas? Could it just be the switch? Thanks. -Raine

on separate fuses (7 for left pkg/tail; 8 for the right) so the parking light recalcitrance is probably a fuse in need of cleaning. Additionally, your low beams are also separately fused (9 left; 10 right) and the high beams are both on #11. So before delving into the switch, make sure all your fuses are not only clean, but not worn (they wear where they're clipped into their holders). Make sure the holders are clean too. This should be a semi-annual or annual maintenance item on your '02.

Next, make sure all the light grounds are good. Parking lights ground through the mounting screws--a dodgy method. Head & tail lights ground via brown wires--the grounding point must be clean and bright.

If you still have intermittent light problems, then consider the switch. They've been known to simply wear out.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

CLASSIC OXIDATION of the electrics

from old age, moisture, inactivity

start a project of unplugging everything

and cleaning all pinn connectors, sockets,

bulb bases, bulb sockets, ground connection,

relay plug connectors...........

get a spray can of WURTH Contac Oil or

equivalent to treat all of these connections as

you go through them.

13336.jpg

WR089360 Wurth Contact OL

Alternate numbers: 0893 60

Contact OL from Wurth is just about as close to a

miracle in a can as you'll get when it comes to

electrical connection help. Perfect for circuit

board cleaning and promoting electrical connection

in any electrical circuit. Designed to remove

oxide and sulphide residue as well as oil and dirt.

P.S. !!! DISCONNECT THE BATTERY BEFORE

ABOVE REPAIRS!!!

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"