• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Heist.

heist

Thanks so much for that! So if used the summitsprings, racemart sleeve, shortened blist shocks, and camber plate it would be a complete coilover for the front? seems like a much cheaper alternative with the same outcome. Just don't know if thats the right spring rate.

That should be the full kit, you'll need a sleeve to weld to the strut for the coilover collar to sit on(provided in the IE kit). I'd try and find a short section of tubing from a metal supply store(maybe online) with the right ID or check ebay.

Use the shortened Bilsteins, as for spring rate, IDK. That link was just a general reference. I think 300-350 is closer to what you'd want. stock is 100lb+ lighter than that.

Search the forum, it's been discussed, I just can't remember the numbers thrown around.

Just made my order. Going to pick it up on thursday.

Camber Plates -adjustable racing

Rear Coil Over Shock Kit

Front Coil Over - adjustable height

(shortened)

Silicon Rubber Hose Set - 2002 late double barrel carb

Then I picked up the springs from summit.

is that the correct coilover sleeve at racemart? also what spring length and diameter should i run? I am looking to get shortened struts as well.

It should be, it's been a while since I was looking at dimensions but I remember bookmarking it because it would fit. Email them and ask, but I believe they'll fit just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

back with a small update. picked up everything, but waiting on the front springs. Anyways had a little time between school and work today:

640.jpg

Had to bore out the hole a to a larger diameter. Go figure I went to big. This seems like a sufficient fix with a couple small spacers.

641.jpg

Seems like the rubber is too small, but its hard to tell since its just hanging

642.jpg

Favorite part yet. Pull off the drum and it just falls apart and the main nut is stuck..... this car has a lot of character

643.jpg

R.E. rear upper shock mount... Plan on 1) welding a 18 ga or 16 ga sheet metal patch over or inside the existing tower, cut out to tightly fit the new mount rubber and 2) welding reinforcement from the wheel tub into // the bottom of the C-pillar . refer to www.realoem.com veh. 2002 section 112 2002 41(bodywork) 41 15 outer panel parts 01 reinforcement, 02 reinforcement.

CarlkkinMadCity

'74 ex-malaga 8 yr. driving restoration

4-spd, recaros, front bbk, I.E. bars+.s.exhaust. heater refurb(thanks Kieth), total motor rebuild 175 mi ago

(thanks Steve P., Jeff I.)

just another 2 days in the life of Kevin. 3rd person because I'm so tired.

646.jpg

647.jpg

648.jpg

649.jpg

650.jpg

651.jpg

652.jpg

653.jpg

654.jpg

655.jpg

656.jpg

657.jpg

nothing has been easy. nothing.

I want to take apart the rear diff and clean / lube up everything. Does anyone have a good tutorial on how I should go about this?

back with a small update. picked up everything, but waiting on the front springs. Anyways had a little time between school and work today:

Had to bore out the hole a to a larger diameter. Go figure I went to big. This seems like a sufficient fix with a couple small spacers.

Favorite part yet. Pull off the drum and it just falls apart and the main nut is stuck..... this car has a lot of character

Might want to reinforce the rear coilover lower mounts too. Stock, the max load they received the weight of the subframe/tires/etc IF the car completely unloaded the rear(catching air or tripoding around a corner). Now with what ever springs you have, say 300lb/in after an inch of compression(car sitting on the ground static will do this) they'll be taking 300lbs instead of the previous max of maybe 300 for a split second(under some damped acceleration of the wheel). Especially with those spacers increasing the lever arm on that 3/8" tab.

I don't know what others do, I never really thought about it until looking at that pic. You should be able to weld on a bracket to put the bolt in double shear instead of single shear(like it is now).

Just an idea, i doubt many have done it before.

Edit, NVM, I see you got them off. Also, those rear castle nuts are torqued on at 300 or 350ft-lb so don't be too surprised if you can't get them off. Even with out a hint of corrosion they're not easy to remove. If you haven't already pulled them, soak 'em in pb blaster for a few days then try torching the area and us a 5 or 6' big ass extension bar + some friends to make sure nothing slips.

• 1 month later...

I have had a bunch of set backs. My father really messed himself on a bike so I have been taking care of him along with finals and work. I should have a bunch of updates next week when finals are over.