• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OT anyone ever built their own shop?

Arky2002

Let me know if you object and I will take this to the OT area.

I recently moved into the country and have the luxury of 2 acres. I bought a used building (No blueprints or construction plans) and have been building my shop. So far, I have the floor in, the red iron up (columns and beams, perlins and girts) and most of the siding and fiberglass panels. If no one else had documented and explained the "challenges" of this task, I would be pleased to do a blog on it (including pictures).

What is your interest in this effort?

Clyde in Arkansas

Clyde Gates BMW CCA #19280

2009 Rav4 (wife's ride)

06 Toyota PU (Parts hauler)

89 325ic

75 2002 (parts)

74 2002 (Pigcheeks project)

73 2002 (auto to fi stick project)

70/75 2002 rolling

I built my current shop, but it is conventional stick built. I went with a floor truss system under the second floor in order to have an open floor plan on the first floor. First floor has cars, work bench, mechanical room, and lift. Second floor has all the wood working and metal fab stuff. My buddy just finished erecting a 32 by 48 pole barn with 14 foot ceilings. He only spend around $25 grand on it and that includes the cement and the labor to erect it. He still needs to run the electric and insulate the building. I just recently picked up 7 acres that I plan on building on. My head is spinning with all of the possibilities. Full drive under basement, massive attached garage, and large pole barn out back are all under consideration at the moment. I currently have 12 cars(mostly projects), and it's tuff to limit myself to that, so I will need lots of space.

I bought a used, disassembled, Varco Pruden 32 by 40 foot building - no plans or assembly instructions. It has been a nightmare and comedy of errors at the same time - but the red iron is up, and 3 walls are done. It somehow came without a roof (LOL :-( ) so I will be out a couple of thousand more for the remaining metal. I hope to have enough warm days to complete it in January.

it is a shed roof style - 13 feet tall on one end and 15 feet tall on the other. I will have a 2 post lift and possibly a 4 post lift in it.

Clyde Gates BMW CCA #19280

2009 Rav4 (wife's ride)

06 Toyota PU (Parts hauler)

89 325ic

75 2002 (parts)

74 2002 (Pigcheeks project)

73 2002 (auto to fi stick project)

70/75 2002 rolling

Sounds very cool. With the lifts you could start a business

That's what "They" will be worried about.

I have my air compressor in the atic to cut down on noise.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

My father built a shop in our backyard about 10 years ago, but due to zoning it couldn't have a lift. We built it as big and tall as zoning would allow. :) The radiant heating is excellent, but we can't use it because the roof hasn't been insulated yet! We ran it that first winter and the power bill tripled!