• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do rubber brake lines have to be a special length ?

Codfish

The ones that run from the reservoir to the master cylinder. I want to connect the reservoir to the firewall. If you can see closely there is a small hole I wanna use...

Is it safe to shorten the hoses and connect it to the firewall ???

Peace and Thanx

Wayne

zjcro2.jpg

Time is the ruler of all...

Originally those were not rubber but a blue woven fabric with some sort of liner. If you use rubber, make sure it is rated for brake fluid or else it will swell up and fail.

With that said, the length should not matter as long as it is positioned well above the master cylinders because gravity feeds the fluid down to the brake and clutch masters.

You can sort of see the blue stuff in this picture. It is available from the usual BMW part sources.

id,52036

s.jpgp.jpgx.jpgh.jpgm.jpg

BMW Lotus Healey Miata x 2

The guy I got the lines from races a 2002, and has it on his car, so I hope its the right lines...

Originally those were not rubber but a blue woven fabric with some sort of liner. If you use rubber, make sure it is rated for brake fluid or else it will swell up and fail.

With that said, the length should not matter as long as it is positioned well above the master cylinders because gravity feeds the fluid down to the brake and clutch masters.

You can sort of see the blue stuff in this picture. It is available from the usual BMW part sources.

cut'em to what ever length works for you, as long as bottom of the resevoir is higher than master cyl.

the old blue hose is just blue material covering over a rubber line. looks like you have the new version used on later model bmw's. same stuff except has gray cover. i use that on my car.

2xM3

I am converting from 2 reservoirs (one clutch, one brake) to the more modern one that has one reservoir. My problem is I dont have that "piece" next to the strut that holds it in place. That leaves me to bolt it to the firewall.

Is it safe for me to do that ? (I will keep the reservoir higher than master cylinder)

Peace and Thanx

Wayne

The ones that run from the reservoir to the master cylinder. I want to connect the reservoir to the firewall. If you can see closely there is a small hole I wanna use...

Peace and Thanx

Wayne

zjcro2.jpg

Another option is to use the brake fluid reservoir and bracket from a boosted Porsche 911. The bracket bolts perfectly to the top 2 bolts of the 2002's brake booster, although you may need to radius the bottom of the bracket to clear the square portion of the 2002 booster bracket (it's all ATE brand stuff that the Germans used to use). You'd need to lengthen your brake fluid feed lines and/or replace your master cyl fluid feed nipples with vertical ones (available through Pelican Parts and many other suppliers). I used a single feed, round brake fluid res from an early (66-68?) 911/912 for the clutch master cyl and fabbed my own bracket to hold it right behind the 911 brake fluid res on the 2002 booster.

post-16334-13667634521767_thumb.jpeg

post-886-13667634564447_thumb.jpg

post-886-13667634565625_thumb.jpg

post-886-13667634566725_thumb.jpg

Mike

74 2002

Yes, it's okay to bolt the reservoir to the firewall or inner fender.

I am converting from 2 reservoirs (one clutch, one brake) to the more modern one that has one reservoir. My problem is I dont have that "piece" next to the strut that holds it in place. That leaves me to bolt it to the firewall.

Is it safe for me to do that ? (I will keep the reservoir higher than master cylinder)

Peace and Thanx

Wayne

Peace and Thanx

Wayne

zjcro2.jpg

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

"I am converting from 2 reservoirs (one clutch, one brake) to the more modern one that has one reservoir. My problem is I dont have that "piece" next to the strut that holds it in place. That leaves me to bolt it to the firewall.

Peace and Thanx

Wayne"

yup!

2xM3

• 3 weeks later...

In the picture, is the fluid suppose to be at the levels shown? My fluid levels in my 1974 Tii are below the, is it the clutch line, line coming out the side of the reservoir. If I fill the reservoir above the clutch line, do I need to bleed the clutch line? Is there going to be air bubbles in clutch system...does it matter?

In the picture, is the fluid suppose to be at the levels shown? My fluid levels in my 1974 Tii are below the, is it the clutch line, line coming out the side of the reservoir. If I fill the reservoir above the clutch line, do I need to bleed the clutch line? Is there going to be air bubbles in clutch system...does it matter?

no fill it up. as long as your clutch is currently working as it should youll be fine. The bubbles escape themselves

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com