• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie - 1973 2002 - Atlanta,GA

MarkS

So.. I'm guessing that there's an electric fuel pump in your trunk, and I think Jason's right - they routed the return back to use it as the feed...er something like that. Here's some pix of mine - please do not take this to mean that these are "right" - just something for you to use as reference if you'd like.

https://www.me.com/gallery/#100134

Matt

I needed a car, and a hobby....

Nor'East '02ers-

www.bmw2002.us

Betty VIN 4229155

The original colour was Malaga, paint code 021

SiteNamecopy.jpg

Thanks again for all of the replies.

Matt, your link to your pics is not working for me. If my electric fuel pump is in my trunk, ( I hear a "whirring" noise from the trunk when I first turn the key), where should the fuel filter go?

Mark

oops.. sorry. here's the link to the public view - this should work.

http://gallery.me.com/mattpickering#100134

I'm not sure where you would put the filter in that situation. I would bank on the whirring thing to be the fuel pump though. I was going to go that route, but ended up just replacing my original fuel pump with another mechanical pump. There are a lot of articles on this board about electric fuel pumps - just do a search of the archives.

Matt

I needed a car, and a hobby....

Nor'East '02ers-

www.bmw2002.us

Betty VIN 4229155

The original colour was Malaga, paint code 021

SiteNamecopy.jpg

I recommend converting it back to a mechanical pump (electric pumps are less reliable and dangerous and, for a carb, unnecessary). Simply get a used one, remove the block-off plate, and install the pump. You'll just need the pump, push rod, and spacer gasket thingy (the latter is available new for cheap).

Your car looks like a 2002tii (fuel injected) that some idiot converted to a Weber carburetor ; ) At least, the lack of an air snorkel and the funky fuel filter location make me think that. Maybe check the VIN?

Welcome, Mark. The worldwide community for these cars is gracious and generous. The Atlanta guys are great, and shame on me for not getting out more and meeting them at '02 events.

Like Glenn said, drop me a line if you have questions.

Regarding your issues of rough running, there are plenty of possibilities:

plugs/wires/cap/rotor/condensor, timing, carb, and fuel delivery as mentioned above.

Horn: could be faulting ring position just behind steering wheel (most likely) or other electrical issue.

I don't like your coolant temps. Likely is t-stat, rad, or water pump, or hopefully (and less likely) something more involved. Is it hot when moving or just idling?

I know Aaron at Quantum Mechanics. He knows '02's well and tracks one. I don't know RWL, they might be great.

Mike

m roach 2002 AT a o l DOT c o m

74 '02- M2 under construction by SnailPace Restoration, Inc.

88 M3 unmodified when retired from track

97 332is CrewCab (M3/4/5 )

99 MCoupe-- track rat

The vin chart is here.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/content/view/13/32/

The car may be a late '72, if the bumpers are close to the body. The vin chart seems to suggest that.

Look closer Andrey, there is a snorkel.

Mark, welcome and good luck!

Ray

I recommend converting it back to a mechanical pump (electric pumps are less reliable and dangerous and, for a carb, unnecessary). Simply get a used one, remove the block-off plate, and install the pump. You'll just need the pump, push rod, and spacer gasket thingy (the latter is available new for cheap).

Your car looks like a 2002tii (fuel injected) that some idiot converted to a Weber carburetor ; ) At least, the lack of an air snorkel and the funky fuel filter location make me think that. Maybe check the VIN?

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Hey there! There is a fairly solid group of 02s in the area, and I agree that it is beyond time for a meet!

I have a bunch of parts around, and know a few people in the area with decent parts supplies.

Hope to meet up soon,

Jon

Thank you for all of the replies. Hope to meet some of you Atl guys soon.

Mike, I spoke with Aaron before and after I bought my 02. He recommended RWL as Quantum Mechanics doesn't work on 2002's. Bonus: It's less than a mile from my house.

• 5 months later...