• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grind/rattle at exactly 3k RPM...

hrstudioplus

I've been experiencing an odd grind or rattle that appears only when my tack reaches 3000 RPM... It sounds very light, not a deep grind at all. But it's there nonetheless. Only in 1st and second gear. After 3rd it's not apparent.

Anybody else experience this before? I'm running a 1972 with stock Solex carb, stock air filter, and pretty much stock everything except water pump and alternator.

It's really odd, and I can't determine if it's a grind or a rattle either!

Arrgghh.

-Hassan

1972 2002 Malaga (soon to be Verona) daily driver/project.

If it still has the original metal heatshield over the exhaust manifold. They get brittle and start to split at the mounting bolts and rattle at certain RPMs. If so, replace with a combo gasket/heatshield from the 320i, or just drip a little JB weld on the crack. (it will hold for a while, but need to be redone occasionally) Hope that is it, because it is the rattle that is the cheapest and easiest to fix. I am sure others will share other possible causes of the grind/rattle.

good luck

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

check the exhaust bushing on the exhaust-transmission mount. The rubber on mine had died, and i got a rattle at anywhere between 2500- 3000 rpm

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=2213&mospid=47140&btnr=18_0333&hg=18&fg=05

part number 01

Daniel Shor

Bethesda, MD

'74 2002 "Charlotte"

Half as old as my first car and I wouldn't have it any other way.