14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Grind/rattle at exactly 3k RPM...

hrstudioplus

I've been experiencing an odd grind or rattle that appears only when my tack reaches 3000 RPM... It sounds very light, not a deep grind at all. But it's there nonetheless. Only in 1st and second gear. After 3rd it's not apparent.

Anybody else experience this before? I'm running a 1972 with stock Solex carb, stock air filter, and pretty much stock everything except water pump and alternator.

It's really odd, and I can't determine if it's a grind or a rattle either!

Arrgghh.

-Hassan

If it still has the original metal heatshield over the exhaust manifold. They get brittle and start to split at the mounting bolts and rattle at certain RPMs. If so, replace with a combo gasket/heatshield from the 320i, or just drip a little JB weld on the crack. (it will hold for a while, but need to be redone occasionally) Hope that is it, because it is the rattle that is the cheapest and easiest to fix. I am sure others will share other possible causes of the grind/rattle.

good luck