• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE TURBO TWO POINT OHHHHHHH

Ive been neglecting to update due to a story I will surely tell. but for now, ill throw up some pictures, and document the process.

first up is the e30 I have been dailying.

turbobuild098.jpg

turbobuild097.jpg

turbobuild093.jpg

turbobuild092.jpg

turbobuild088.jpg

turbobuild087.jpg

turbobuild022.jpg

turbobuild021.jpg

turbobuild020.jpg

turbobuild019.jpg

I made a necklace device to hold all the rockers, springs, and retainers, to mostly help with my disorganizational skills.

just finished tearing down the head, next up is to do the seals, and ill go from there, Looking for some m30 springs, which are just a wee bit better than the m10 springs. hopefully doing a 292 cam, which will be perfect for the ported head..... after it's on the road ill be finding a new terrrbo, an HX30 or HX35. perfect for power up to 6700. with the valvetrain.

I've also been waiting on my forged flat top pistons :D

I'd like to give a MAD shoutout to JP Cadoux (at a1 imports autoworks, SAn RAfael), and Charlie (AKA pinepig), and Mattias Sandgren (across the Ocean in turbo heaven). without both this would have been significantly more difficult. I acknoweldge that I am a student in this adventure, and my failures only produce more successes. That being said my Horsepower goals have been significantly changed... >:)

Ill post more soon.

turbobuild018.jpg

here is JP and Frenchee Installing them Coilovers!

turbobuild017.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fifty,

I have ohhh so many questions. First off I am happy to see someone doing a 292 cam with a turbo set up, I am venturing into my project slowly and a big question was is the 292 gonna be enough? I have looked around and I mostly either see stock cams, genuine "turbo" cams or high revving (past 7500) wild man cams.

I am looking for about 200-220hp at the wheels, what are you expecting to put down with either the HX30 or 35? Who makes that manifold? BoostBros? Or is a custom one off piece? I am planning to do my own pipe work but I just wanna see what other are using in terms of material.

How are you managing your boost pressure, are you gonna external wastgate it and use a boost controller or are you gonna go internal?

Also I was gonna do dual valve springs from IE along with the oversized intake and exhaust valves. Whats your opinion on this? I am shooting for redline at about 7000 and would like full boost at around 2300 RPM's. Do you and the guys think that its a bit overkill to go oversized with dual springs in the head?

Ok that's enough from me, I will be watching this intently to see how it comes. I am hopefully gonna get my engine build going in the next few months and I want to do this right the first time around making it completely bullet proof for about 12-16 psi. Oh one last one, whats the compression ratio your going for with the flat tops? I was looking at about 8.5-9.1 compression and boring it out once over I think to 90 or 91.

Thanks and good luck,

Chris

What are your power goals now? Still using MSII or are you gonna switch to MSIII? When do you expect to spool the turbo(?) a HX35 is pretty big for a 1.8L. Every time I see a project like this it gets me all giddy since it's where my project is hopefully headed now that body work is nearly finished.

Fifty,

I have ohhh so many questions. First off I am happy to see someone doing a 292 cam with a turbo set up, I am venturing into my project slowly and a big question was is the 292 gonna be enough? I have looked around and I mostly either see stock cams, genuine "turbo" cams or high revving (past 7500) wild man cams.

I am looking for about 200-220hp at the wheels, what are you expecting to put down with either the HX30 or 35? Who makes that manifold? BoostBros? Or is a custom one off piece? I am planning to do my own pipe work but I just wanna see what other are using in terms of material.

How are you managing your boost pressure, are you gonna external wastgate it and use a boost controller or are you gonna go internal?

Also I was gonna do dual valve springs from IE along with the oversized intake and exhaust valves. Whats your opinion on this? I am shooting for redline at about 7000 and would like full boost at around 2300 RPM's. Do you and the guys think that its a bit overkill to go oversized with dual springs in the head?

Ok that's enough from me, I will be watching this intently to see how it comes. I am hopefully gonna get my engine build going in the next few months and I want to do this right the first time around making it completely bullet proof for about 12-16 psi. Oh one last one, whats the compression ratio your going for with the flat tops? I was looking at about 8.5-9.1 compression and boring it out once over I think to 90 or 91.

Thanks and good luck,

Chris

I have been doing tons of research. and The 292 cam excells up to about 6500 rpm, which is where it drops off in torque. That is the exact power band that I am looking for. 3-6.5 contrary to popular belief, blow through doesnt really occur within turbo applications. there is backpressure in the exhaust system etc.... There are many handfuls of cammed 2002s over the ocean with their turbos.

my power goals are roughly in th 300 range. That being said. I will turn it down for some street driving. so around 15 PSI and 300 HP, or 225 at 7PSI. This is where the cam makes the big power difference.

noscoe30 is making 425 HP with a 304 N/A cam, and 12 PSI

OTis made 376 wheel HP with a 294 cam, and around 20 PSI

and there are about 3 swedish 2002s off the top of my head with stock bottom end, forged pistons 304 cams, pushing anywhere from 400 - 625 Hp.

that headwork you are looking at will definitley poot up some good power. you would need a 304 cam for those goals. as far as boost at 2300 rpm. you will sacrifice top end, unless you find a GT28RS disco potato. you can get signigficatnly more power with a more effecient turbo as well.

my build is pretty much a collaboration of all the builds I have read from, and gathered info, and twisted to my applicatiopn

and I have a turbo concepts External wastegate 38MM

from there, Looking for some m30 springs, which are just a wee bit better than the m10 springs.

They're actually the same as the M10 from what I can find. Mobile tradition has them listed with the same part #. I know bavauto sells a set of schrick HD valve springs which are a bit better while not being overkill(like dual valve springs) for a motor that never sees 7000+.

that be a modified Boost brothers manifold, that sticks out a little extra, for some better clearance, with an external wastegate welded on thurrr.

(thats my hood speak)

I sent my original boost brothers manifold to the people, and they gave me a new one which I had modified for an external Gate... so I didnt have to bash the fender to fit a turbo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Started the first stage of grinding the head. The Rest of the head porting will be done by JP Cadoux.

Once the head is sent out, Ill be awaiting it, and the block from the machine shop for Assembly. MUAHAHAHA

post-17271-13667631954506_thumb.jpg

post-17271-13667631955538_thumb.jpg

post-17271-13667631956599_thumb.jpg

post-17271-13667631957666_thumb.jpg

What's the spring rate on those valve springs? You could test it easily by putting three or four on a scale, throw a board on top, add some weight centered for equal distribution, and then measure the change in length.

I'm going to do the same with the dual springs in my motor and some stock springs.

No need, the schrick ones are Stronger than the stock ones. I used to have a chart. Its somewhere posted on r3vlimited, or e30 tech.

they are designed for their 292 and their 304 cam.

I know they are stronger, I just want to know what the spring rate difference between all 3 is. Do you have the chart? I searched both of those forums and didn't find anything.