• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golf 2002 - m42 swap

jakeb

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Awesome. I'm on the casual hunt for a 1991 318is now (do I need an is or will an i do just as well?).

Did you go COP with this one?

An i will work as well.. This one has the e36 harness so the coil pack is a bit different than on the e30. So no COP on this car. My 02 has COP with the e30 harness.

jake

1985 e28 w/LS1/t56 and a bit more...

1970 2002 w/ m42 swap

-Contact me for m42 mounts or e28 ls1 mounts-

www.classicdaily.net

Jake,

I know that the E30 driveshaft works well, but is there any other advantage to using an E30 over an E36 as a donor car? Also, is there any difference in the engine and 5-speed from a 1989-1991 318i versus the same from a 1991 318is? The former is a lot easier to find and cheaper! I can't find anything online that says that the 1989-91 318i has any difference from the is model.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

Jake,

I know that the E30 driveshaft works well, but is there any other advantage to using an E30 over an E36 as a donor car? Also, is there any difference in the engine and 5-speed from a 1989-1991 318i versus the same from a 1991 318is? The former is a lot easier to find and cheaper! I can't find anything online that says that the 1989-91 318i has any difference from the is model.

Any e30 318 m42 car will work, 90 or 91. I have never seen an 89 318. The e30 has the correct oil pan and intake manifold that you need for the swap.

1970 2002 w/ m42 swap

www.classicdaily.net

It is that car, Jim. The tranny was squallin' like a bit pig. I didn't have a spare 5 speed at the time. When I got the M42 powered 2000c back, I had to have it in an 02. It is so sweet that my wife wants an m42 in her automagic car.

It is that car, Jim. The tranny was squallin' like a bit pig. I didn't have a spare 5 speed at the time. When I got the M42 powered 2000c back, I had to have it in an 02. It is so sweet that my wife wants an m42 in her automagic car.

Thanks for responding. I've been kind of wanting a Golf-colored car, but my wife doesn't like the color. Next BMW will have to be anything but red (she likes green).

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I got it back from the exhaust shop on Friday....came out nice.

Here are a few pictures:

IMG_2243.JPG

IMG_2242.JPG

IMG_2250.JPG

IMG_2255.JPG

I added a bit more support on the center bearing

IMG_2245.JPG

IMG_2247.JPG

Going to put some miles on it before it goes home to Andy

1970 2002 w/ m42 swap

www.classicdaily.net

I listened to Skip's this morning. Yeah, it's going Ozarking. Jim, my wife kinda hit the nail on the head with the BMW colors. She said someone had a bag of jelly beans out when they picked the old colors!

Jake's doing a nice job on the conversion. Maybe you can bring it to the Spring True Friend's event.

Porsche also had some wild/neat colors in the '70's.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"