• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

bouncing speedo (link to video)

hadabuji

you may have a loose drive drum inside the speedo. That's what happened to mine--if you need instructions on how to repair, drop me an e-mail. I did a column on this repair a couple of years ago. But eliminate the cable and a loose cable-to-speedo connection first before you delve into the speedo's innards.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Disconnect your cable from the speedo before driving again. Otherwise ,you risk damaging the speedo.

I have repaired several of those with the same symptoms following Mike's recommendation. It is a internal problem but an easy fix. It does require the removal of the cluster from the car and the removal of the speedo from the cluster. You won't need special tools or any parts.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

Busted the spring inside the speedo. Repair or replace.

Actually not.

Take the speedo out of the cluster by removing the big nut around the cable input shaft.

With the speedo in your hand you will see two flat head screw heads that separates the speedo mechanism into two sections. Take those two screws out. Don't worry, nothing will spring apart but note carefully how it looks. You may want to take a few pictures just in case.

With the two pieces apart, you will see the drum, the pin it rides on etc. Push the drum back in its shaft. You will feel it shove back where it belongs. You see, the drum spins in a cage with the cable, and the magnetic field created by the spinning drum causes the needle to move. But the drum should not touch the cage. When the drum moves out of place, it starts to touch the cage and makes the needle jump and bounce.

Reassemble noting how the gear on the shaft for the odo reset mates on the receiving gear. Reattach the screws, test it my inserting a small screw driver in the cable slot and spin it.

I have another speedo in storage that I can bring out, take apart and take pictures of if my explanation was not clear.

Good luck.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam