• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FINALLY got a set of steel flares

fast2002

I spend two hours today in the GA heat cutting metal flares from a donor car.

Do you guys know if there are photos of someone fitting these to their car? I got a mig welder and just need to know the best way to go about doing this.

Thanks

ooo nice. From a 2002?

No pix, but having installed plastic flares, spend a lot of time

with tape and a measuring tape, and give yourself lots of room

to sight down the body and make sure they LOOK even.

the things can really distort, and you won't notice it.

Hopefully, that will be better in steel.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Lots of well spaced out short welds will help minimize the distortion you get if you run a long bead. Figure out how you are going to hold the flares over the existing panels without a gap. Take out your gas tank and anything else that has gas in the area. Learn about using copper to back up the screw holes you made to keep the gap from forming when you weld up the panels. Be sure the inner panel is well matched to the outer. Don't do a hack job connecting the inner fender well to the outer original panel. You might have to create some inner fender well extension pieces.

Ahlem

'76 2002

'90 M3

'90 535i 5 speed

'89 325is '91 318is

'87 325is

• 2 weeks later...