• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

front bumper location

tlchd74

Could someone out there with 72 /73 bumpers give me a measurement from the front clip to the rear of the front bumper ? I am trying to fabricate a mount that will attach to the 74 bumper shocks but have no point of reference to know how far the bumper should mount away from the car.

Thanks

I just did this on my 76. I did a write up in my blog section if you wanna check it out...but what I did was use standard exhaust pipe from pep boys thats the same 1.75" diameter. cut it to length. I then measured where I wanted the sides of the bumper to be. then marked the pipe in the original mounting holes in the frame and cut a hole in the pipe at that spot for the original bumper mounting bolt. I measured how you asked and mine is 2.25 inches from the back of the bumper to the body next to the mounting location.

picture-1.jpg

picture-2.jpg

picture-3.jpg

picture-4.jpg

picture-5.jpg

picture-6.jpg

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

There is also more info out there..look in the blog section of the forum...

Eurotrash did his and offered more good info.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,338929/

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

from the body than are the 72's....see a recent posting below for a discussion of 73 bumper brackets. If you stand facing the hood with your legs nearly touching the bumper and look directly down, the front of pre 73 bumpers are almost directly below the point on the hood, while there's an inch of air visible behind the bumper's trailing edge on the 73s.

On my 73, measuring horizontally from the trailing edge of the bumper blade to the nose panel is 4 1/4". However, the 73 bumper bracket is canted upward from where it emerges from the nose panel so that the bumper itself is located a couple of inches above the hole in the nose panel where the bracket emerges. Measuring along that line--nose panel up the bracket to the trailing edge of the bumper, it's 6 1/2."

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite