• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Repurchasing my first 02 after 18 years apart!

aaronr

This coming Friday I will be buying back my first 02, a green 72 It was my first car from when I was 16. I sold it to a fellow Windy City BMW Club member in 1992, he has owned/loved it this entire time.

I already have a killer 70 2002 (completed project), but I figured there won't be another chance for me ever have it back so I had to do it. The car is going to need paint and body so I'm sure that will get out of hand quickly.

There will be lots of decisions on what to do. Keeping both 02's will depend on how tight the 72 makes the garage feel.

For now just a ton of excitement and anticipation.

I'll post pictures when I get it.

Aaron

1972 2002

Guest Anonymous

Congratulations! I have a similar story. Bought my 76 off my brother who was the original owner then sold it back to him a few years later. He had it for 10 years before I bought it back again.

Congrats!!! I have had mine since I was 15 (minus a brief time when my sister drove it) - the reason it is now going through a full restoration :)

'76 02 (Pastellblau - my 1st car - owned since 1992)
'04 330i zhp (Monaco Blue)

'07 328i 6spd (Titanium Silver)

'11 X3 (Alpine White)

Congratulations Aaron! I think the SALT II treaties may have been simpler to work out. I predict you will fall back in love with your original car once you throw a little wallet at it. And then? Maybe that sahara '70 ends up n the block...?

It's all fun no matter how it turns out...ned.

'74 tii rolling resto

Sweet, lucky you! I have had mine for 11 years, since I was 16. I have never sold despite wanting other cars knowing I would probably ALWAYS regret selling it, and it would be pretty slim to ever get it back.

I was able to purchase a Cortina last summer, my plan for this car is to satisfy my tinkering/work on things desire (and desire for a Cortina) so that I can better enjoy the 2002, 2 years of not driving it because I was trying to do a megasquirt conversion finally made me decide I should be driving it, not working on it! Though I am just finishing up an engine refresh on it that has been taking my $ away from the Cortina, but hopefully I will get working on the Corty and driving the 02 soon!

Good luck with your old car!

Bryan

red73

73' 2002 "red"

66' 2 Door Cortina GT

http://mk1cortinasearch.blogspot.com/

Congratulations Aaron! I think the SALT II treaties may have been simpler to work out. I predict you will fall back in love with your original car once you throw a little wallet at it. And then? Maybe that sahara '70 ends up n the block...?

It's all fun no matter how it turns out...ned.

I think you're right Ned.

It took me a good decade of begging to get it back.

I'm guessing that's going to be the plan where I put a bunch of money into the green car and sell my white one.

I guess I shouldn't have sold you those stock wheels/hub caps, cause whatever car stays with me is going to keep the Panasports :)

1972 2002

I guess I shouldn't have sold you those stock wheels/hub caps, cause whatever car stays with me is going to keep the Panasports :)

The Yoko tires went on a Corvair that a couple of good ol' boys in Wisconsin bought last fall. The wheels and wheel covers are safely stored. Email me when/if you are interested in getting them back. If you can't find decent 13" tires, no one can! I have way more 13" wheels than I will ever need.

...ned.

'74 tii rolling resto

It wouldn't happen to be Agave with tobacco interior would it? Lived in Chicago when I bought my '72 Agave new from Knauz, and sold it in Chicago in 84 to buy my dad's '74 tii. I'd buy that '72 back in a heartbeat if I ever found it.....

Hooked on 2002 since my first one bought new in 1972

Ned, I'll probably take you up on that if I sell the white car.

John, it is agave with tobacco but it stared out life as a tan color originally. I bought it in Arlington Heights in 1991.

Bought the car at Knauz when I lived in Cary. Commuted every day for 12 years down 14 to Des Plaines - right thru Arlington Heights. Even in foot deep snow and sub 0 temps. Regretted selling that car the moment the guy drove off in it.

I've heard of other 02 guys finding their old cars and buying them back. Consider it fate...

Have a great second life.....

Hooked on 2002 since my first one bought new in 1972

• 2 weeks later...