• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

south florida heat

bukaki_bob

3 row core radiator...I'd try the radiator first if you have a constant overheating (or hot running) problem.

This of course after you've made sure your cooling system is in tip top shape--clean, full, water pump functioning properly, tight belt, 5 blade tropical fan etc. etc.

mike

PS--if you have A/C, make sure there isn't a lot of crud between the A/C condenser and the radiator back behind the grille...

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I have a spaal electric fan, 320I radiator, 71deg. thermostat, waterpump is new, use the good BMW coolant and check your dizzy timing. My car is running below the mid point on the guage even in heavy traffic. The only time the guage goes to the mid point is during sustained interstate speeds, which I blame on the aerodynamics of the shape of the car.

1975 BMW 2002 Amazonas Grun mit Sonnendach

1999 BMW K1200LT

1966 MB 230SL crushed

2006 Audi A6

2002 Audi TT 255

I think you are asking about an s14 conversion. Correct? Same advice as you are hearing. At a minimum, buy a 3 core radiator (Curt Ingram seems to be the vendor of choice) or buy a 4 core from Be Cool. Buy a Spal fan and have it installed with both a thermosdatically controled switch and a manual overide. Also think about an Evo waterpump.

More former BMW's than it is possible to list.

I am in Dallas, spending every evening in 100 plus degrees stuck in rush hour for 40 miles. Highest mine gets is about mid guage. I have a 320 radiator(new one) otherwise all is original. No electric fan..only time mine gets above mid line is when I am running 4000 and over at speed in the heat.

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

what about deleting the thermostat all together so you can bypass it and have water flowing constantly

Not a good idea. There is a reason why the thermostat is there.

Dirk

BMW Classic Car Club of America - www.bmwccca.com

'73 2002 tii - '72 2002 (targa) Cabriolet - '71 2002 (voll) Cabriolet - '71 2002 Rally - '71 2002 Alpina A2 - '70 2002 ti - '68 1600 GT - '65 1800 TI