• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil Pan studs/nuts.....good idea?

ClayW

I just got these in the mail. Do they look like a good idea?

IMG00261.jpg

I bought them on eBay. I was previously worried that adding the crank scraper from Ireland engineering might not leave enough bite on the threads of the bolts, but it looks like I'll have plenty with these! Another advantage seems to be that there won't be any issues with lining up the gasket holes and holding it all in place.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

Not sure if the studs are an improvement. IIRC the most of the bolt holes along each edge of the block are open--so the amount of retaining threads in the block are finite. Adding a stud with nut simply doubles the possibilities of a loose fastener. The studs might also further inhibit reinstallation of pan if you are performing this install with the motor in the car. It would make more sense to me to use a longer bolt along the sides and a few studs on the ends of the block where the holes are blind. This woud give you all the pan positioning you would need without sacrificing security of the pan.

Well I will take the other position as I most always replace all fasteners in an engine build anyway. I would replace the cap screws with a stud and nut for the pan rail, it just makes for a much "cleaner assembly".

Your kit is using the preferred flanged serrated lock nuts, and I can't see clearly but it looks like the studs could be broached for an "Allen" wrench for installation.

If there is no shoulder (no thread area) to locate the stud, and your pan rail holes are open and not blind you will need to select shouldered, like ARP studs.

Don't forget to lock-tite the studs into the block.

...I have yet to have any trouble at all with the stock bolts with the crank scraper...

they're not really a 'loaded' fastener application.

I'd use 2-6 studs (alignment IS a bugger) in closed- end holes-

that seems like a smart idea.

Then I'd put the rest in a ziploc and find other places where they might

do some good.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL