• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the model # of your Sanden compressor?

508 sandem compressor

are you going to rebuild your ac system and use the old R12 or are you going to do a complete rebuild and use R134a

see the following guide :

http://www.rparts.com/Catalog/Major_Components/compressors/sanden/conversion_guide.htm

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,340341/highlight,/

you will need a bracket for it , you can buy a perfect fit ,very well made from David Donoghue he is a member in this forum, do a search for ac brackets

Ps also they are Sandem imitations very cheap, Sandem used to be manufacture in Japan but now they are made under license in china but sold by sandem

Good luck

change in my E21 from an E30 Behr unit to a Sanden 508 - hopefully the following is of some help:

1. There are dozens of Sanden/Sankyo model/part numbers, but for the most part, the different numbers appear to refer to various combinations of pulley (v-belt vs serpentine) and port (top vs rear exit) configurations and/or different displacements.

2. All currently manufactured Sanden 508 series compressors are compatible with both R12 and R134 - R12 specific compressors have service/charging valves in the compressor body that are not compatible with R134 charging equipment, otherwise they're the same as R12/R134 compatible units (R12 specific compressors appear to be being phased out of production).

3. 508 series compressors come in three displacements - 5, 7, and 8 cubic inches - it appears that some vendors use the last digit of the model number to refer to the displacement (i.e. 505 = 5 C.I., 507 = 7 C.I., 508 = 8 C.I.) while others lump them all together as 508's. At least in the case of 5 & 8 C.I. displacement units, the smaller displacement compressor is significantly shorter overall, but from what I can determine, the mounting ears for all three compressors are in the same configuration, so units of all three displacments should fit the same brackets.

4. Current retail for new Sanden 508 8 C.I. displacement units seems to be rigth at $200 (give or take $10) for a unit without any appearance upgrades (polished or chrome case, pulley clutch cover, etc)

5. If the suction / discharge lines off your compressor are going to run close to your exhaust manifold or headers, consider picking up some Thermo-tec Heat Shield sleeve material to protect the hoses from the heat radiating off the manifold - Summit Performance has it in both silver and black for about $20 for a three foot section.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)