• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Using an e36 transmission for an m42 swap?

I think you may find it hits the tunnel.  It SEEMS like it's 'taller' above the gear cluster, and also bigger.

But I've only looked at mine sitting inside the E36.

It's a nice transmission- with a 3.4 final drive, it's a pretty close- ratio, easy shifting transmission.

It's the trans behind all E36's, so it stands to reason it's a bigger box.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

There is a lot of misinfomation/educated guesses out there on the E30/E36 M42/M44 interchangeability. I can't speak from personal experience on swapping an M42 into a 2002 yet, so i have no idea on tunnel clearance. BUT...i have over 25,000 race miles on my E30 318is and am intimately familiar wiht these motors and transmissions!

After going through 6(!) Getrag G240 transmissions (stock in the E30 318is), we recently upgraded to the G250, on recommendation of Jim @ Metric Mechanic.I CAN confirm that they are the same weight, altho the E36 trans (G250, as found behind the M42/M44 cars as well as small 6 cly cars) have a "deeper" bellhousing area. The transmission was also about an inch longer. You might experience bellhousing-firewall clearance issues, I dunno.The E36 cars have about a 10 dgree tilt to them, and the output flange on the G250 is larger as well.

To install the stronger G250, it bolted right up, and used the same starter and flywheel/clutch assembly. Due to the deeper bellhousing, we used the E36 slave cylinder instead of the shorter E30 one. The same transmission mount was used, altho slid back a bit for the longer G250. Due to the tilt and different length of the trans, we had to cut and shorten the shift rod, and weld it back together to accomodate the tilt. The same shifter and shift carrier was used. We had to shorten the driveshaft, and had the larger driveshaft flange mated to the E30 driveshaft. We had a driveshaft shop modify it for $150ish.

The G250 has sychros twice as big as the G240, according to Jim @ Metric, which is good as that was the failure point on all 6 of our G240 transmissions that failed. And as a non-overdrive transmission, it has 1-1 5th gear, and effectively close ratio gears. We had to switch from a 4:10 diff to a 3:73 to keep our same top end. So far one race on the G250, as we like it. The G250, in addition to being stronger, is MUCH more readily availible in junk yards, so finding a spare is cheap and easy, unlike the one-year only G240.

Hope this helps! I can also tell you about interchangability of the E30-E36 M42 and even M44 engines. Been there, done that!

I've got a friend running a G250 with his M42 swap track car (which I have not seen in person). He came up with his own setup that pushed the engine way further back than Jake's kit, which brought about some issues. The main issue with the G250 is the bellhousing. As you've seen in Jake's kit, you have to grind the rib off of the bottom of the G240. Well, from the looks of it, the G250 may not allow for as much clearance. I know my buddy ended up chopping out a lot of the underside of the bellhousing, but like I said, his engine is much further back and I believe his centerlink is probably closer to the mounting flange of the bellhousing. You can tell in Toby's picture that there is a step in the bellhousing that may provide enough clearance. I don't recall if my friend had said whether or not he had issues with fitting it in the tunnel itself either. Suffice to say it may be possible, but you won't know for sure unless you try. I know I'd like to get one in my car sooner or later.

Alex
-'75 2002 with M42

-Spec E30

-'91 318is

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi guys,

Wondered if there was more information on the getrag 250 fitting in the 2002

Currently restoring my 73' 1602 and have the same swap in mind. Have got

the E30 oil sump already, just looking for an E36 engine now. Be great to get more

info on this. 

thx

BMW 1602 restauration + M42 swap

I've got a 250 and a 240, but am months away from doing the swap.  As mentioned, the 250 is much taller near the bell housing area.  Now that I know the 250 is a superior trans, I will have to try it out when I get there.  Please post whoever tries first!

Chris

Edited by cwlo

Hi guys,

thanks for the info! 

Man you are lucky with that E30 M42 swap, those are hard to find in Europe. 

As those cars are becoming collectables too. 

So now im aiming for an E36 M42. Those are easy to find, and since I already have the oil sump from the E30, im half way there :P

Im still in the process of welding on the car, so it will be a couple months before I get to installing a M42.

Lets see who gets there first :)

Good luck with your builds!

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Yes!

After thinking I would not find one, picked up a E30 M42 engine + gearbox, diff, computer, engine harnas, air flow meter, drive shaft and radiator in Germany last Friday! 

So happy! popped up on German Ebay, didnt expect to find one.

Since the one I found last month was gone really fast. 

So I wont be able to tell you if the E36 M42 route will work. Good luck with your build!

Paul

Edited by Paul1602