• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E30 Rad Or Something Else?

TurkisM2002

Yeah I hate to bring up yet another radiator discussion...but I couldn't help myself.

I bought an e30 rad a while back for my m20 swap but I can't recall what drove me to make that decision. Perhaps since the 323 rads are so damn expensive. I'm at a point where I can start measuring and cutting for the radiator, but want to be 100 % sure I'm going down the right path.

So I'm wondering if I should stick with the e30 rad or swap to something else like the scirocco rad but I'd like to hear some horror stories from anyone with experience. Looking for something that functions and has reasonable form. I have an electric fan from Ireland so space is a concern.

Also what are the inlet/outlet orientation requirements for the radiator? And there are a million "scirocco" rads on ebay, some with different configurations.  

Thanks

Edited by chrisracer79

Frick. So it's been a year since I bought the radiator and I think it has the wrong inlet/outlet locations. Upper right/lower left.  Let's see if bavauto will take a return!

The inlet/outlet locations should be on the right(passenger) side correct?  Oddly enough I have googled for this information and can't find an answer. 

Thanks

My late e30s have upper rad hose on drivers side and lower on pass side

Yeah I have a late E30 rad right now in the box. I was concerned with the location of these in/outlets. Anything will work right of course, if you have a big enough hammer and patience.  ... 

Anywho, would I be better off going the scirocco route? These 2 rads are completely different in dimensions of course. The e30 rad being more "square" seems rather large. 

Yeah I have a late E30 rad right now in the box. I was concerned with the location of these in/outlets. Anything will work right of course, if you have a big enough hammer and patience.  ... 

Anywho, would I be better off going the scirocco route? These 2 rads are completely different in dimensions of course. The e30 rad being more "square" seems rather large. 

Id use what you have and make it work. You have to cut anyway and bigger is better when it comes to cooling. Buy the hoses to make it work rather than another radiator would be my plan

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Id use what you have and make it work. You have to cut anyway and bigger is better when it comes to cooling. Buy the hoses to make it work rather than another radiator would be my plan

Perhaps I will...I do have an entire E30 cooling kit (hoses, clamps, etc). Just worried about the fit. 

Chris,  this may prove helpful (if the e30 radiator is aluminum).....

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/143759-m20-swapped-2002s-roll-call/?p=964357

Sadly it is not alum. Damn. 

Andrew would this alleviate having to cut the upper nose brace or just the lower portions?

I see TEP offers this 2002 rad made by Griffin. 

http://www.racetep.com/02rad.html

bit pricey. But if it fits in stock location, cleans the M20, and cools sufficiently then it might be money well spent. 

Perhaps I should get the motor in the car first to see how much clearance I really have...

Perhaps I should get the motor in the car first to see how much clearance I really have...

Wise words, clearance ends up being more of an issue of the engine placement.  That 02 radiator will not clear any better than the E30 or scirocco unless you start strategically cutting.

The only way I can see to optimize radiator clearance would be to mock up the engine and then use the left over dimensions to have Ron Davis make you a custom radiator to your specs.

post-343-13667583953424_zpsfd01d9a6.jpg

Edited by AceAndrew

Wise words, clearance ends up being more of an issue of the engine placement.  That 02 radiator will not clear any better than the E30 or scirocco unless you start strategically cutting.

The only way I can see to optimize radiator clearance would be to mock up the engine and then use the left over dimensions to have Ron Davis make you a custom radiator to your specs.

I checked out Ron Davis earlier today. Would LOVE to get one of his custom rads with an integrated oil cooler.  $$$$ I'm sure. 

BTW thanks everyone for their thoughts.

Edited by chrisracer79

post-343-13667583953424_zpsfd01d9a6.jpg

Damn that's gorgeous. 

Edited by chrisracer79