• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

can't see ball on flywheel at TDC?

vintage_car

Put car at TDC on #1 Cyl. no ball on flywheel... thought I was 180 out so I made another rotation and still no ball? suggestions?

Process for TDC I used was having the plugs out so I could turn the engine over by hand. I marked the line on the front pully to line up with the pointer. When the valves are closed on #1, the cam lobes on #4 are pointing at 1 and 11 (not sure if it is am or pm) The lines on the pully are perfectly lined up with the pointer at this time and I'm assuming TDC on #1. The distributor is installed and I'm not sure if that is preventing anything, or if it doesn't matter.

no markings at all. A flywheel can't be installed improperly can it? I thought it was keyed a certain way.

I cant find the ball in my flywheel either. I don't know if its not there or if I just can't see it because of the obstruction of the body panel and small hole in the trans case that you have to look through.

Someone did drill a hole in my body panel to look through the trans hole, but I still can't see it.

Fishhead

----------------------

Motorcycle Big Brake systems

Be yourself and be free with your thoughts because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter..

Yeah, actually, that's just a sleeve, and if you pull it out, then the flywheel can

be installed in any of 8 positions.

Classic way to 'fix' a ring gear.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

The ball and line are there, unless, well, don't know what unless PO has repositioned the sleeve on the crank like Toby says.

They are hard to see that is why I paint the edge of flywheels black and mark the ball red with a white background and mark the line white.

The line goes by the window real quickly and some amount of contortion of eyeball and flashlight is required.

Here is a photo of another flywheel showing the relation between the BB and the TDC line

TDCandBB.jpg

Timing BB

BB.jpg

TDC line

TDC.jpg

Hope this helps.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5