• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulling the Pilot Bearing.. ( without a puller)

Meintii

Ok so I've been at the tp method for about an hour hammering the bolt in untill now I can't feel my right arm. Still having no luck getting it out. What could I be doing wrong? If tried a few differnt bolts, all extremely close to the size of the hole, but it's not budging at all. What type of bearing does this method work fir agian? Which one does my 72 tii most likely have ? I'm going to go take a chill out skateboard ride while awaiting a answer! Thanks

Zac Cardinal

1972 2002tii's Blog

1976 2002 "Margie"s blog

IMG_2146copy.jpg

It is just a hydraulic method.

Take Blunt up on his offer to lend you the tool.

If you are working it properly, a few whacks and it should walk out.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

It is just a hydraulic method.

Take Blunt up on his offer to lend you the tool.

If you are working it properly, a few whacks and it should walk out.

Well that explains the problem! I'll email blunt and see if we can work somthing out. Email sent blunt! I guess I'll find somthing else to do on her this weekend .... I'll keep you guys updated

Zac Cardinal

1972 2002tii's Blog

1976 2002 "Margie"s blog

IMG_2146copy.jpg

The autozone puller worked for me...I did have to grind it down a little...However I was sneaky...Those rentable tools always come greasy and grimey, so I made the freshly gound areas just as dirty as the rest of the tool and returned it.....no problems...

Brian

72inka

Zac,

The whole reason to pack the area behind the bearing is to allow the packing material (grease, wet TP, whatever) to push on the back of the bearing when the bolt gets inserted into the areas behind the bearing as well. You must get the area behind the bearing as full as possible before the bolt goes in. If you are doing it right you should be loosing grease or wet TP out of the space betweem the bolt and the bearing as you hit the bolt. Once you loose some of the material you need to put more back in and hit the bolt again. If you don't keep the material very full behind the bearing the bolt will bottom out on the crank and you will acheive nothing except banging away on the end of the crank.

Pack in more wet TP or even some grease. If you stick your finger into the hole you should not be able to push it in because the area behind the bearing is full of whatever. Pack in a little more and then insert the bolt and give it a wack! As the bolt tries to go into the hole it will build up pressure and push outward on the bearing. Remember to get as much grease into the area behind the bearing as possible and then give it another try.

Your tranny looks like it has the 32mm OD bearing in it so you should be able to use Bill's method.

As far as wet toilet paper is concerned the water is the non-compressible fluid and the toilet paper just keeps it from running out of the hole. This is actually a really great idea if you don't have any heavy grease.

Todd

"Common sense isn't common"

Yea Im waiting on Blunts tool to get here so I can get that mofo out. I have been doing somthing though... I'm painting the entire inside of my trunk flat black, instead of the sahara color it was previously.

I'm basically painting the bulk of it for some rust protection, even though it all going to be covered up.

Zac Cardinal

1972 2002tii's Blog

1976 2002 "Margie"s blog

IMG_2146copy.jpg

BLUNT-

I got the tool today thanks for sending it.

One question though... How do I use it? What else is needed ( besides the rubber mallet)

Out there workin now so let me know ASAP. (while im working on my trunk re-assembly)

THANKS!

Zac Cardinal

1972 2002tii's Blog

1976 2002 "Margie"s blog

IMG_2146copy.jpg

CALL ME IF YOURE HAVING PROBLEMS AND ILL WALK YOU THRU IT 952 476 6607

nothing but some lube. take your tool and guide it into the hole after youve packed it with grease. take a few quick jabs at it and see the response you get. you may have to remove your tool and apply more lube. the more ive used my tool the better i have gotten with it. ive found that hard fast action works well on some while others need a little more finesse. you may have to repeat the grease packing a few times but it should get the job done

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

I would but i doesnt seem to fit in the hole...

The hole...

IMG_0088.jpg

Is there somthing I still need to take off/out?

Also should I take out the now dried up stuffed in there tp of just wet it and try to add more...

THANKS!

-Zac

Zac Cardinal

1972 2002tii's Blog

1976 2002 "Margie"s blog

IMG_2146copy.jpg